Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX5500

Technician

MX5500

Im having a bad week for CQ issues, this one has got me stumped a little also. I seem to be getting lines (deletions) down the page (front to back) on colours Yellow ,Magenta but not so visible on Cyan. what is puzzling is they are not uniform, the lines do not tally up to any of the guages on the sharp transparency line tool lol... some may have a 13mm spacing but the next line could be 11mm then back to 13mm its a bit weird.
    First off ill tell you what it isn't as ive swapped out a few bits... primary trans unit, secondary trans unit, drum units ( I dont have a spare dev unit to try but the lines do not coincide with the mg roller diameter anyway, plus I doubt all colour dev units have the same problem). ive also removed the density sensor unit from above the primary trans unit and cleaned the sensors and shutters, now im a little bit at a loss as what may be the cause, main drive or a PWB maybe? I dont know lol....
    there is an example pic of a yellow print out below....I know there is a blade line down the middle but thats the least of its problems.
    Has any body else had a similar problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MX5500

I have seen the laser unit cause similar defects. If you have a spare one try it before taking the plunge on new one.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar

possible main drive problem have seen it cause weird issues like this. try the laser as stated above first if u have a spare

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MX5500

If the lsu solenoid is weak, it cant pull the shutters open all the way. The black is always OK as its at the right side end, which is furthest away from the solenoid, so it gets all the solenoid pull tension and rarely fails. As you get closer to the left side of the machine where the solenoid is, there is less solenoid pull tension on the yellow and magenta shutters and it causes a faded area through the middle. You'd think it would effect the whole page, but it doesn't.

Take all the drums/devs out and trip the front cover switch. Run sim 6-01 LSUSS (lsu shutter solenoid) and watch the shutters opening/closing. I bet they are sluggish and not opening fully.

There are usually 2 causes:

- There is dev inside the solenoid plunger. As the solenoid sits directly below the yellow dev, any severe dev leak previously (say from a very worn drum end) will cause dev to drop down and when the solenoid activates, it's obviously attracted to the magnet of the solenoid and it enters the plunger. This prevents the plunger from fully operating at full power and causes the shutters to not open fully

- There is dev/toner/grease under the rear shutter drive arm (the drive arm at the back which drives all shutters at the same time). Apply a few small drops under that drive arm so it slides on the chassis of the frame much smoother. If there is excess tension on that drive arm when the solenoid is trying to pull the shutters open, they don't quite open all the way, always effecting yellow and mostly magenta too.

You'll most likely find cyan and black are always ok, as these shutters have enough drive tension to open fully.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Technician

Thanks for the input guys, MMMmmm could be a laser issue I suppose but I dont have one lol... Possible drive as well, did notice a clickclickclick when its running, and shutter solenoid, It did occure to me about it but ive had these shutter problems before Akitu, and as you say you get a faded area down the middle of the page but this does not have that problem it has multiple lines down the page not across the centre where you would expect to see the faded area.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MX5500

Lightbulb Re: MX5500

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

As stated above, check the LSU shutter.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

MX5500

A clicking noise with front/rear voids at those intervals is usually (a) seized dev unit(s), especially if they've done over 500k.

Try a 25-01 dev stir and you'll know for sure right away.

MX5500

Any update? I'm interested in this problem as I have a similar machine. The more you know!

Technician

Not as yet, waiting on some parts to arrive, hopefully tomorrow will have some news if i get a chance to return to the customers site.