Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

A Few Issues with an MX-4101N

I've put in a MX-4101N machine at a customer site. It is experiencing a driver issue along with a finisher issue.

Specifically, I've installed the universal print driver on the on-site SBS (Windows 2011) and shared it out. The driver can load onto customer's workstations fine but it will not print jobs that are sent to it. I've watched the print process of the customers, checked the file type (PDF) and checked permissions on the driver, all seem correct. When they go to send a print, it looks like it sends but the machine remains unresponsive. No error codes.

As for the finisher issue, it is an MX-FNX9 inner finisher. When going to staple, the machine gathers the sheets together and prepares to staple, except the last sheet which often ends up moving out of place, resulting in it missing the staple completely or being stapled crooked. I'm not really sure how to tackle this issue.

Thanks!

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: A Few Issues with an MX-4101N

Quote Originally Posted by CES_Imaging View Post
    I've put in a MX-4101N machine at a customer site. It is experiencing a driver issue along with a finisher issue.

Specifically, I've installed the universal print driver on the on-site SBS (Windows 2011) and shared it out. The driver can load onto customer's workstations fine but it will not print jobs that are sent to it. I've watched the print process of the customers, checked the file type (PDF) and checked permissions on the driver, all seem correct. When they go to send a print, it looks like it sends but the machine remains unresponsive. No error codes.

As for the finisher issue, it is an MX-FNX9 inner finisher. When going to staple, the machine gathers the sheets together and prepares to staple, except the last sheet which often ends up moving out of place, resulting in it missing the staple completely or being stapled crooked. I'm not really sure how to tackle this issue.

Thanks!
    First things first, the universal print driver is a tool I'm not familiar with yet, and from what I've heard is better in multi-machine installations. If you have the option, for best performance install the MX4101N drivers. In regards to it not printing, do you have user authentication enabled? If so, the user codes will have to be input into the printer driver, else it will do exactly as you're saying.

The operational description of the finisher tells me that your Inlet Port Sensor (FED) may have been knocked out of place slightly; as it doesn't seem to be reading your last page correctly.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Go to the web interface of the MFD and check the job log and see what is happening with jobs that fail, what error do you get?

Need to establish if the jobs are making it to the MFD or not.

Also if user authentication is turned on you will need to specify a code in the driver for it to work as I guess the other user is set to guest and not user so will fail.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Got a few hints from a very reliable source to accompany the finishing tip I gave earlier.

1. Remove front & top covers. Clean the exit/bundle rollers and the 2 compiling belts. Both of these items are used in the pre-staple compiling action, and when these are dirty, they dont do a very good job of pulling all sheets back into alignment.

2. While the front cover is off, lubricate the belt up/down lever (parts guide section 3, item 27 and section 9, item 35). This lever rubs against the frame and over time becomes abit sluggish in its movement. When that happens the compiling belts are not correctly positioned to best compile/bundle the sheets together before the staple takes place.

3. Confirm the compiling brackets are straight and square. A previous forceful jam removal can sometimes bend these thin brackets and future sheets being compiled will not correctly align.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

macgyver1114

If you haven't solved this yet, sharpbulletin.PDF I had the same issue and the new shaft(s) fixed the issue. Along with constant paper curling.