Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MX-C311 - (etc) L4-16 Pressure Release issues still occurring after "updates"

Re: MX-C311 - (etc) L4-16 Pressure Release issues still occurring after "updates"

There was a change in August 2010 regarding the bearings seizing up, they had an extra ring added inside. The only other bulletins referencing fusing issues was from 2008 production. Probably long since resolved, it was just a poly slider added to the e-ring to prevent catching.

If your bearings don't have the additional ring inside them, it's pre August 2010, but that still leaves a very narrow gap from March to August - about the best you could do.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MX-C311 - (etc) L4-16 Pressure Release issues still occurring after "updates"

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    There was a change in August 2010 regarding the bearings seizing up, they had an extra ring added inside. The only other bulletins referencing fusing issues was from 2008 production. Probably long since resolved, it was just a poly slider added to the e-ring to prevent catching.

If your bearings don't have the additional ring inside them, it's pre August 2010, but that still leaves a very narrow gap from March to August - about the best you could do.

Yeah, I just found this again : http://www.sharp-idncservice.com/idn...MFP-TB-454.PDF

Yeah, when we get an L4-16 and it is a fractured actuator, we order all the parts with the poly slider and all. Still see them fracture again on down the road....and as early as a month later. ha

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RascalMJ View Post
    Yeah, I just found this again : http://www.sharp-idncservice.com/idn...MFP-TB-454.PDF

Yeah, when we get an L4-16 and it is a fractured actuator, we order all the parts with the poly slider and all. Still see them fracture again on down the road....and as early as a month later. ha
    I haven't been able to verify the problem that when the copier is powered down incorrectly, it could cause the actuator to be in the wrong position when powered back up.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I haven't been able to verify the problem that when the copier is powered down incorrectly, it could cause the actuator to be in the wrong position when powered back up.
    I can verify this; it can and will break the actuator flags. The sub power should go off first, when screen is black, the main power gets turned off. If the main power is tripped, the pressure stays on. Not only will this break fuser parts, but it can give some real nice flat spots on the press roll.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Now, this is interesting..... this latest customer when she gets a jam, she has been known to kill the main power (despite my best efforts), but I didn't make a connection to this issue.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    I can verify this; it can and will break the actuator flags. The sub power should go off first, when screen is black, the main power gets turned off. If the main power is tripped, the pressure stays on. Not only will this break fuser parts, but it can give some real nice flat spots on the press roll.

Wow, awesome.... Thanks for this!

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RascalMJ View Post
    Now, this is interesting..... this latest customer when she gets a jam, she has been known to kill the main power (despite my best efforts), but I didn't make a connection to this issue.
    It's all about teaching (if possible) the customer (and unfortunately, some techs) that throwing the main power switch first or pulling the AC cord is not the way to shut down the copier.
    Thanks Mojo for confirming what I had suspected.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    ... Its a shame you cant use the mono fusers (B42FU1) as these things NEVER give that code. Not to mention the press rolls can look like deep fried sausage and the CQ is still good.
    Most of the ones I'm seeing are the B401 fusers, and most of the time it's the cam splitting, and just falling off in the bottom of the fuser.

I'll confirm from techs that have done it to themselves. You can't pull the fuser unit until the fuser is in the pressure off condition. If you do, the first thing the machine does at power up is bust the flag, with a distinct crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Best I can give you is this bulletin.

Attachment 21903

States that machines produced after March 2010 will have the upgraded pressure release actuators. The bulletin you linked was the 2013 improvement where it adds .05mm to the diameter of the actuator so it doesn't get destroyed by the heat. Two different problems with the same part really, in one case you'll have it bent in half and snap off (2010 change) from hitting the sensor, in the other it'll crack around the shaft and fall straight off (I assume, haven't had that one happen to me)....
    That's been our experience. I just can't imagine where the load is coming from on the miniscule flag, weighing a few grams, resting on cam, with a light return spring. I can only think that the cam has some sort of inherent weakness in the molding process that is exacerbated by the constant heating and cooling of the fuser environment.

And thanks for the bulletin, by the way. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

The B401 still used the C32FU1. It wasn't until the B402 and B402SC that the B42FU1 was introduced. Zero issues and a breeze to rebuild.
    B401 also had a black DV cart instead of a DV unit and developer on the B402 and B402SC.
    Pretty solid boxes with the exception of fuser and doc feeder.

I am curious about something while we are talking Frontier machines............................
    In our North American manuals, the secondary transfer unit (color and mono) is listed as MX-C31U2 and is rated at 60k life span. There is another Sharp part, MX-B42U2, it is rated at 120k. I have been using the B42U2 on B401,402,SC machines for over a year now with twice the life span and zero problems.

Does anyone else use these?

When this is searched in Sharp web sites, no results are found. There is no mention of it in any manual I have found. I even asked a few Sharp guys and they had never heard of it.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

See attached bulletin. The actuator for the fuser pressure has been changed again. The new one has an A4 stamped on it. I have had new machines and new fusers from Sharp with the A3 version of the actuators installed in them. I check all new machines and fusers for the new actuator. I also verify that the pressure plate is white.
    Attached Files Attached Files