Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Madnhain's Avatar

Question Admin PW Reset MX-M264N

Greetings!
    A customer recently terminated their IT guy, and with him went the admin PW. I've exhausted the service and user manual with no luck. There is a sim (24-30) to initialize the admin pw, but the sub-30 doesn't even show up on this machine. (perhaps because it's already initialized?)... I thought perhaps 22-90 would print out the admin pw along with all the other settings but no, that would be too easy as well. The webpage pw has also been changed so I can't access anything through there.

Looking through this forum, there are mentions of the same problem with other machines that were resolved by flipping a switch on the main pwb, swapping SD cards, or sending the chips into Sharp.

So with an MX-M264N.... is there a method to reset the admin pw that eludes me? or do I need to resort to opening up the machine?

Thanks!

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Admin PW Reset MX-M264N

Re: Admin PW Reset MX-M264N

I believe Sharp just copied over the manuals from predecessor machines to create this one, hence the 24-30 showing up in manual but not on machine. Odds are high that they've moved to the dip switches, but I couldn't say for sure. First thing to do would be update the firmware to the latest version because I know some things may have been added if they were not present, and it never hurts to be on the latest firmware.

I believe the latest procedure according to other posts is to reformat the HDD with sim 62-1, which should also reset the admin pw to default, else it's the dip switches. Can't verify for sure as I haven't had it come up on these machines personally.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Alright, Thanks. It'll be the middle of next week before I can get back over to try these out. It's not a high priority issue, just something I'd like to resolve before it becomes an issue. I'll be sure to give an update when I get a chance to get over there.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Akitu is correct; this model needs the dip switch flipped before the sim will appear. Turn off the machine, flip the switch, power on, and the machine will boot into the reset screen. The picture below is for the Virgo machines but the procedure is the same. The picture makes that jumper look huge but in actuality, it is very, very tiny.
    If you flip the dip and 4 plus symbols come up on screen, it is the other switch.
    ARIES-VIRGO ADMIN PASSWORD RESET.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Right, I'm familiar with the switches you are referring to, the other switch is for boot options or security kits etc if memory serves correctly.

Again, thank you both for the help, I'll give an update when I give it a shot next week!

Just out of curiosity, where is it stated that this is the procedure for admin pw reset? I'm not questioning the validity of the procedure, I'm just curious where a person might acquire this information... cuddling with a sleek new virgo and whispering sweet nothings to it has not produced anything but strange looks from passers by. Is this just information used from previous machines that hasn't been included in current service manuals?
    Just a curiosity

Admin PW Reset MX-M264N

Quote Originally Posted by Madnhain View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where is it stated that this is the procedure for admin pw reset? I'm not questioning the validity of the procedure, I'm just curious where a person might acquire this information... cuddling with a sleek new virgo and whispering sweet nothings to it has not produced anything but strange looks from passers by. Is this just information used from previous machines that hasn't been included in current service manuals?
    Just a curiosity
    Sharp support sites list it as bulletins.

A rather anti-climactic resolution to this: The former IT guy was contacted and has relinquished the admin PW's, so (un)fortunately I wasn't able to try the dip switch technique. Maybe on a slow day I can try it just for fun.

Admin PW Reset MX-M264N

Seems a little silly they removed the old 24-30 codes, but I suppose it was done for the same reason the elevated sim codes were changed as well... Too many idiots abusing it.

agreed. There's nothing quite so exciting as walking into a customers office to hear "I googled the error code and got into the simulation mode and..." (face palm)