Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Madnhain's Avatar

Question MX-5141N Jamming

This is a new machine, and is jamming (POD1_S) regularly. All firmware is up to date, including MX-FNX9 firmware.
    We found a TB about some rubber wheels that sharp put in place to aid with heavier paper that were causing jams on plain paper, we removed these per TB instructions but the jamming persists. Upon inspecting the machine while jammed, the paper seems to be getting warped coming through the fuser, causing it to not be able to fit through the slot in the dummy punch unit. I decreased the temperature of the Fuser -10, which seemed to work for about 1000 copies, then it started jamming regularly again. We have been battling this for about 2 weeks, and the MFP jams 2-3 times a day. Customer is understandably irritated.
    Has anyone else had any issues with this? I have a new fuser ordered, thinking maybe there is a defect in the current fuser.

*edit* The machine will typically make between 400-1000 copies between jams and then more frequently (~20-30 copies between jams) until it sets for a while.
    Last edited by Madnhain; 09-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MX-5141N Jamming

Re: MX-5141N Jamming

Freshly posted to the Canadian support site! "Please remove Delivery sponges ( 6 ) (PG37-46_PSPO-0011FCZZ) on the delivery
    section. "

Mentions having FNX9 with intermittent POD_1S jam codes due to paper warp. TT1560

Because it's a tech tip, it's free to share. Enjoy!

TIP1560.pdf
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

That was what I was referring to when I said that we removed "rubber wheels" sorry, I forgot they were called "delivery sponge"... (sorry for the confusion there) already followed that procedure.
    Thanks for that though,

MX-5141N Jamming

Well, goes to show how far behind the Canadian support site is...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts harleyrider's Avatar

That was posted in the USA 8/9/2013. The internet runs slower going uphill so it takes longer to get there.

MX-5141N Jamming

Adjust your paper curl settings in sim 43-01. Under "Pap Curl Improvement" the value can be adjusted from 0 to 4. Set it to 4, if you've made any fuser temperature changes, revert them. This should hopefully fix your problem, but be advised the warm-up time for the fuser may go up in order to compensate the changes. Will be up to approx. 1 minute, so if your client is used to the extremely fast 10 second warmup time they've had all along, they'll definitely notice it taking that full minute.

Should help your issue though, post back with your findings! I'd love to see if this fixes your problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-5141N Jamming

I have seen this on the MX-4141N. I replaced the delivery pinch rollers with the ones from the MX-3501N and problem has not come back.. Qty 4 - PCLR-0518FCZ1, section 37 item 26 in MX-3501 parts manual.

I believe with foam rollers, the bevel is to much and without foam rollers, there is no bevel. MX-3501 seems to have just the right amount of bevel.

I have also resolved POD1_S on MX-M363 series for duplex with legal and letter R. Those pinch rollers seemed to have to much of a bevel.

Good luck.

MX-5141N Jamming

Should have mentioned with my first post, you can realistically probably fix your problem with only setting it to 1 or 2, which would also make the warmup time less than if it were set to 4, but greater than being on the default 0. Warmup will scale with paper curl adjustment.

I'll give the curl adjustment a try, I'm hesitant to try to change the rollers because the paper is actually being warped coming through the fuser prior to it actually reaching the delivery unit.
    Thanks for the tips guys!

*Update*
    I replaced the fuser, and the problem went away. It has gone almost a month and 10k copies with no more jams.