Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Sharp AR-161 blurry images

Customer just reported blurry images from the glass - could anyone tell me what might be causing this before I go out? Tried powering off and on. Maybe the scanner is needing some oil on the rails? Just wanted to see if this happens sometimes, have not seen it in a long time if ever. Thanks

Re: Sharp AR-205 blurry images - went to customer and checked the machine - laser or

I checked ou the AR-205 (not an AR-161) and the image is stretched toward the front of the machine - to the right it it is lanndscape on the glass. The machine has a printer option that when you power on it prints a report and even the report has the image stretched. I swapped known good drum and toner and no change. So it's not the scanner, drum, or toner unit. COuld it be the laser? Or a slow motor that turns the drum? I did see the blurred image on the drum when I did a power-off while it was printing.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Sharp AR-161 blurry images

If the print image is stretched that rules out the scanner.

Here are a couple of possiblilities:
    1) perhaps the drum cleaning blade has flipped, dragging down the main drive.
    2) could they just be the usual drum ground voids at 94mm intervals that you always get when the drum coating wears through?
    3) maybe the drum drive gear is severely worn.
    4) perhaps the drum waste auger is backed up, adding friction to the drum drive.

Registration clutch problems usually present as varying registration, but not stretched images.

It sort of surprises me that you said OC (on the contact glass). Most stretched images on this model come from document feeder originals, and are caused by dirty registration rollers or slipping greaseable clutches (all in the document feeder)
    =^..^=.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thank you for listing the possibilities, very helpful! However, since I swapped with a known good drum and had the exact same problem, I would rule out the drum. I also needed to explain that the image was also shifted toward the front from the back side, to the point where there was extra white space in the left margin where there should not have been, So the entire print area was shifted to the right and stretched at the same time. It's as if the laser got lose or something and is pointed to the right too much. Is changing the laser out done very often? Is it even worth it as I have a machine I can sell him for maybe $375 that does work fine and I would just use his supplies, fuser and feeder just because they all work for now.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Laser failures are relatively common on this model. The image shift to the front confirms the laser diagnosis. I've seen that on a number of smaller Sharps.

The Panther isn't a real exciting copier in general:
    It can only handle a very narrow group of media types (18 to 28#)
    They jam a lot. My friend would call it a "Jammomatic"
    The consumable life is quite short (drums, developer, fusers)
    The document feeder doesn't work worth a shit

And it's a two hour job to change the laser. The boards have to come off the back to free up the wiring and access the last screws.

For me:
    First choice: sell them something other than a Panther
    Second choice: sell them the used working Panther
    Distant third choice: install the laser

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Thank you for listing the possibilities, very helpful! However, since I swapped with a known good drum and had the exact same problem, I would rule out the drum. I also needed to explain that the image was also shifted toward the front from the back side, to the point where there was extra white space in the left margin where there should not have been, So the entire print area was shifted to the right and stretched at the same time. It's as if the laser got lose or something and is pointed to the right too much. Is changing the laser out done very often? Is it even worth it as I have a machine I can sell him for maybe $375 that does work fine and I would just use his supplies, fuser and feeder just because they all work for now.
    I did set up a new machine that had similar CQ issues, and it was the LSU not sitting on it's locator pin. The screw holding LSU inplace was missing from the factory and must have had rough handling.

Agree with Blackcat.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

I cannot say enough how much I appreciate your help Blackcat for your assitance (and also zootech)! It looks as thought the laser has worked it's way lose after may years of light usage at this account. However, it may have been moved a couple of times which may have loosened it originally. I will replace the machine with my used one if he agrees to the price.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have had more than one of these where the lens inside the laser unit would come loose. It is attached in a way that it can fall down inside the LSU. Some Locktite Super glue gel will put it back in working order if this is the problem. Glue it into place and then service the fuser or something while the glue sets up. You will need to remove the security torx screws from the LSU cover but a good pair of duck bill pliers has worked for me if I don't have the bit handy. Removing the LSU isn't the easiest thing to do but it is possible to sneak a long screw driver in behind the board assembly bracket if you remove the bracket screws. You can do some work on that LSU without removing it from the machine. Take a battery powered screw driver to speed things along. No need to put the rear LSU mounting screws back in when you are done servicing it unless it is going for a ride somewhere. On the other hand, if you are working on one I have serviced, the back 2 screws are probably missing...

The economy still isn't the best in some places. I just came back from a call on an AR-160. The customer wants to keep it going and I need the work so I'll do what I can to keep them running.

Thank you oldrn, this is extememly helpful, I will go ahead and do the repair for about $200 and save him some money. If anything interesting comes up I will report back. Again, many thanks to all!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Don't follow Sharp's procedure for removing the LSU. The manual says to remove the entire scan unit assembly - the whole top of the machine - to gain access! You can get by with removing the the front covers & the inner paper tray. That inner tray slides out the front of the machine giving access to the LSU with the scan unit still in place. It's a good time to install the fuser mount modification plate while you have clear access to that area. A machine that old is probably getting the brittle bone syndrome as far as the main frame in the area of the fuser mount points.