Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maverick27

Is it possible to "Remotely" access MFPs ?

Hi. I work for a document solution company in Kenya, where we are authorized distributors of SHARP MFPs.

We have leased out MFPs to our clients.

I was wondering whether it's possible to "remotely" access the MFPs from our H/O so we can take meter readings.

If, theoretically possible, what Inexpensive options are available to establish connectivity to the MFPs (via remote means) ?

The main reason to monitor the printers "remotely" is to monitor printer activity such meter readings,

I found an interesting link below after doing a quick Google search:

4 Easy Ways to Remotely Print Over the Network or Internet

Perhaps VPN connection is the way forward ?

Thanks in advance .
    Mave

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Re: Is it possible to "Remotely" access MFPs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick27 View Post
    Hi. I work for a document solution company in Kenya, where we are authorized distributors of SHARP MFPs.

We have leased out MFPs to our clients.

I was wondering whether it's possible to "remotely" access the MFPs from our H/O so we can take meter readings.

If, theoretically possible, what Inexpensive options are available to establish connectivity to the MFPs (via remote means) ?

The main reason to monitor the printers "remotely" is to monitor printer activity such meter readings,

I found an interesting link below after doing a quick Google search:

4 Easy Ways to Remotely Print Over the Network or Internet

Perhaps VPN connection is the way forward ?

Thanks in advance .
    Mave
    Meter readings can be sent via RED if product key is acquired from Sharp and email is set up at the remote location. The newer Sharps can be accessed remotely if set up, and if the network will allow for checking jams, error codes, etc.
    Good luck, and let us know how you work this out.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

can, if you do the" scan to email ", smtp, dns correctly, you can select schedule and email the counter for you.

Maverick27

Thumbs up Re: Is it possible to "Remotely" access MFPs ?

Great !! Does'nt sound like a complicated thing to do nor does it involve any significant $$$ to accomplish.

1.Lky - when you say "scan to email", does it involve someone having to physically scan a doc or is it configuration setting ?

2.Zooteck what do you mean by "RED". Kindly elaborate.

3. Are both of you saying to simply to have the MFPs configured to have emails sent to me from the MFPs showing meter readings ?

4. Where do I start reading about this kind of setup ? User docs, online help, etc,etc ?

Thanks again for the lead.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick27 View Post
    Great !! Does'nt sound like a complicated thing to do nor does it involve any significant $$$ to accomplish.

1.Lky - when you say "scan to email", does it involve someone having to physically scan a doc or is it configuration setting ?

2.Zooteck what do you mean by "RED". Kindly elaborate.

3. Are both of you saying to simply to have the MFPs configured to have emails sent to me from the MFPs showing meter readings ?

4. Where do I start reading about this kind of setup ? User docs, online help, etc,etc ?

Thanks again for the lead.
    #2 - Remote Email Diagnostic --- can be be set up to send the info you're looking for.
    No money involved, just an IT dept that will allow an email through their firewall.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Maverick27

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    #2 - Remote Email Diagnostic --- can be be set up to send the info you're looking for.
    No money involved, just an IT dept that will allow an email through their firewall.
    Cool.
    I had a quick look at RED & some of other features from link below:

Multifunction Printers | MFPs | Sharp Remote Device Manager (SRDM) | SHARP

In a nutshell, what other tasks/activities can I accomplish from "Remote" monitoring ?

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

RED was absolutely atrocious last time I tried it, I haven't gone back for just that reason. From the web page, if all of the settings under "Network Settings" are filled out appropriately, you can then go into "E-mail Alert and Status" and set the machine to email you its meter readings on specified days of the month.

For "Network Settings" the copier must have DNS servers, an SMTP server and required credentials (Username/password, port 25/465/587, SSL optional) and assuming all is well, email may be passed along at that point. E-mail Alert and Status is fairly straight forward in its wording and simplicity to set up, take a peek at it and you should see it needs little to no explanation.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

If you are dealing with a small customer, who don't have their own SMTP server, you can use Gmail's. Create a new Gmail account, and when setting up the SMTP use <account name>@gmail.com for the Reply Email Address and Username, make sure SSL and SMTP Auth entication are both enabled, and make sure the DNS (or again, if they don't have any, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and domain name (if none, use local) are also entered.

Then continue with the Email Alert and Status setup.

Take note that the customer can also use this SMTP to scan to email, which can a problem with security conscious individuals (either disable scan to email entirely, or set up a filter in Gmail.)

Maverick27

Great !! Thanks folks for all the replies.

Will try out all options.

RED works with MX Series, we have a few AR Models at client site. How can i capture meter readings for AR Series ?
    Last edited by Maverick27; 10-22-2013 at 07:34 AM.