Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MX-4101N repeating image, not sure where it is coming from.

On a customer's MX-4101N the black and magenta colors are repeating across the page. I've replaced the fuser and transfer belt, neither seemed to correct the issue. As these both appeared at the same time, I doubt it is the drum units. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: MX-4101N repeating image, not sure where it is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by CES_Imaging View Post
    On a customer's MX-4101N the black and magenta colors are repeating across the page. I've replaced the fuser and transfer belt, neither seemed to correct the issue. As these both appeared at the same time, I doubt it is the drum units. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    It could very well be the drum units, they do have a tendency to sometimes wear out prematurely, and in some cases will have no typical signs of wear. The question is, however, how are the colours repeating on the page? If it's lines, obviously drums/charge unit.

What are your respective counters at? Copies, drum crtg etc.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had this on a 4101 2 weeks ago. Cleaning the drum units (cleaning blade) solved it for me.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I'm not sure, I'm no longer on site.

I'll try those next but any insight on why two could start doing this at the same time?

stop the machine during the copy cycle and check the transfer belt to see if the image is repeated on the belt.

If it is then the culprit before transfer, which is the drum unit or the LSU.

I agree that the problem is probably the drum unit.

I'm not sure, I'm no longer on site.

I'll try those next but any insight on why two could start doing this at the same time?
    Customer uses colour jobs, colour jobs will use the black and colour drums all at once. It's through this that the maintenance code AA usually appears. As stated above, try your charge grid cleaning rod first and see if that takes care of it, use the grey laser slit glass brush depending on what kind of faults are showing through.

Without more details, there's not much more anyone can give you, though I have to wonder why you replaced the fuser to fix a black and magenta line issue...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

No no, it isn't a line. I would know to clean or replace the charge in that case. The image itself is repeating or "ghosting" after it is laid out on the paper. The regular image is printed and a faded version appears a short distance after.
    We work on several large format laser printers here as well. When they start to exhibit this symptom, it is sometimes the fuser causing it. Replacing it was just a trial to see if that would work.

No no, it isn't a line. I would know to clean or replace the charge in that case. The image itself is repeating or "ghosting" after it is laid out on the paper. The regular image is printed and a faded version appears a short distance after.
    We work on several large format laser printers here as well. When they start to exhibit this symptom, it is sometimes the fuser causing it. Replacing it was just a trial to see if that would work.
    Ah, with the details it makes sense. Does your customer use heavy paper stock by chance? Make sure if they are that the heavy paper setting is being used, improper fuser settings will definitely cause ghosting. You're correct that ghosting is usually a fuser problem, can also be a transfer belt not properly cleaning itself due to improper staging (transfer roller popped out of place) or not cleaning properly for one reason or another.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts DAKOTADAN's Avatar

Check the default fuser settings. Hit sys. settings, login as admin,
    go sys. settings, def. settings, device control, fuser control settings. make sure 23-28lb. paper is selected.
    I have seen this setting let the fuser move images down the page and onto next page, especially doing color. Hope this helps, Dan.

Thanks.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Clean the pro reg F and R sensors and do a full calibration. Sharps run heavy on magenta with the standard color target.
    Check your drum units for flipped blades.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!