Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    just another tech 100+ Posts

Sharp MX-M450N firmware errors

I have a Sharp MX-M450N that reboots from a certain print job. One problem is, I can’t find which PC the print job is coming from or what print type it is. I’ve checked all the computers available in the building but no print jobs in their queues. In the past, I’ve found the print job, deleted it, and updated firmware. The IT guy is going to meet with me soon, however, they have several locations in other cities that also print to this machine over the internet instead of faxing. Once the network cable is unplugged, they can copy just fine. As soon as the cable is plugged back in, the machine receives the print job and reboots. The copier doesn’t give me a PC name in the print log before it reboots either.

With all that being said, if I could update the firmware, it may let the print job come through the machine, but I cannot update it. When I use USB flash, it says MFP ERROR. Then when I do the FILE2PRINT through USB, the machine receives the data, then says writing data, then each category quickly says NG instead of OK. I may try the FTP update through the webpage too. The network cable was unplugged when I tried the updates.

I know there are 2 dip switches for DIAG MODE and WRITE CANCEL mode, but a coworker seems to think that there may be a switch on the MFP board next to the battery. He said in the older machines it was to protect the firmware. I've never heard of that, and I don't see it in the manual.

I am using the latest firmware from December 2009. If anyone has any suggestions as to something I may be doing wrong, please let me know. Thanks.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Sharp MX-M450N firmware errors

Depending on the version of firmware it has now, USB update may not be possible. Base level 1.00 firmware had a maximum flash drive capacity of 2GB, and it had to be FAT16 formatted. I had a similar problem on an MXM450 earlier this year, I had to order updated firmware ROMs from Sharp and then further update via USB afterwards to ensure the problem stayed corrected.

If it's saying MFP error, I would double check what firmware you're trying to upload. It could potentially be for the ARM455 or 450, or even for an MXM450U.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Technician

Does this machine have a security option? The machine will use a different firm. and the standard firm. will not work

I'm not sure, but I will check. What do you mean a different firmware? There is only one listed on IDNC for this model.

Technician

If the machine has the data security option, when you go to the firmware library, instead of looking under the mx-m450n in the (series) section, you would look under the - data security firmware - tab.
    In this case with a hdd it would be the mx-frx6 firmware and without hdd it would be the mx-frx7 firmware.

OK, thank you, Drummer. I can't believe I haven't ran into that before. I'll check it out.

There was an FR kit on it. I finally updated the firmware from 1.4 to 2.0, however, the machine still reboots when receiving the print job. I then reformatted the HDD, but it still reboots.

The customers IT dept is busy trying to track down the print job itself.

Any other ideas?

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nathansipe View Post
    There was an FR kit on it. I finally updated the firmware from 1.4 to 2.0, however, the machine still reboots when receiving the print job. I then reformatted the HDD, but it still reboots.

The customers IT dept is busy trying to track down the print job itself.

Any other ideas?
    There's nothing more you can do until that print job gets cleared. By updating the firmware you put it to the level where that error was supposed to be resolved, I would anticipate that once the print job gets tracked down and deleted, your problem will go away and likely never return.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Thanks. These are my thoughts exactly. However, if they can't find it for some reason, I'll have to call the Sharp techline to get confirmation that I've done all I can.