Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sharp MX4101N L4-45 Error Code

I have a customer with a MX-4101N that's coming up with a L4-45 Code. the Service Manual (at least my version) is very confusing as to where the toner cooling motors are located. I don't know if any other techs have experienced this error before and if theres a common fan to cause this problem. The manual states this error is caused by toner cooling fan 1 or 2 (with 3 total). I believe ive looked at every fan in this machine and they are all rotating. Has anyone seen these spin but still not send the proper signal back to the PCU board? Or do these models have common bad PCU PWBs that cause this error code. Thanks in advance.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Sharp MX4101N L4-45 Error Code

Re: Sharp MX4101N L4-45 Error Code

To find these fans pull out the transfer belt and look above the black drum. There are two little fans. The ones I had fail were in a very dirty environment. I have got them to work for a short period of time by pulling the fan and blowing them out, but you would be best to change it.

thanks for the help. ill check that out when I return tomorrow. any idea of part #'s. I just went through the parts book and cant find them. I also checked the service manual and they don't even show them in the fans section. is it true that theyre a nightmare to order...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts harleyrider's Avatar

They are easy to get at after you do what Brewster has said above. Check section 48 item 102 in the parts guide.

AccService 100+ Posts

I have deal with ERROR L4-45 previsouly and fixed it with no problem. However right this minute I have error L4-43 and its kicking my rear. Any help. The fans ALL spin flawlessly.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Last time I had this issue I replaced the fans, pcu pwb neither helped. It ended up being a dirty PTC unit... which was very odd.

It is more likely to be a harness or fan problem.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by brewster67 View Post
    To find these fans pull out the transfer belt and look above the black drum. There are two little fans. The ones I had fail were in a very dirty environment. I have got them to work for a short period of time by pulling the fan and blowing them out, but you would be best to change it.
    Thank You!! Couldn't find their location, service manual wasn't very helpful. Was able to find the part# and in the parts manual its called TN Cooling Fans. Thanks again should have the parts soon and now know where they're at. This is also in a very dirty environment. I did run sim for the fans and selected PSCFM and no fan could be heard coming on, tested some and those could be heard coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondes68 View Post
    Thank You!! Couldn't find their location, service manual wasn't very helpful. Was able to find the part# and in the parts manual its called TN Cooling Fans. Thanks again should have the parts soon and now know where they're at. This is also in a very dirty environment. I did run sim for the fans and selected PSCFM and no fan could be heard coming on, tested some and those could be heard coming on.
    Parts manual calls it MC Fan, TN cooling fan is a different fan and not the toner cooling fan.

Technician

I too am experiencing L4-45 on a 4101 its one of the two under the bk toner causing the problem and no mention of these two in the manual about how to remove. I had a quick look but the cradle they are in looks spot welded to the frame, how do these come out?

Quote Originally Posted by copytechonline View Post
    I too am experiencing L4-45 on a 4101 its one of the two under the bk toner causing the problem and no mention of these two in the manual about how to remove. I had a quick look but the cradle they are in looks spot welded to the frame, how do these come out?
    Remove transfer belt, black drum and developer unit. I also removed the cyan drum for a bit more room to work with. Open right side door so you can get some light inside. Two fans are above where the black drum would be. Each fan has two screws(need a stubby) and are just plugged in. There is a cover inbetween them that covers the plug for the fan that is closer to rear of the machine, if you're able to reach in there and unplug and plug back in then you don't need to take that cover off, if you need to then its just one screw to remove. I would replace both fans, its called MC Fans in parts manual.