Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

mx-7040 not meeting manufaturer specs

Anyone having trouble with mx-7040 not printing 70 ppm color even with laptop connected with crossover? I am also having problem with yellow quality failing, becoming light and spotty. I can perform process refresh and color calibration and bring it back, but it fails again a short time later. The meter is only at 40,000 for color. However, my biggest problem is the print speed. B/W seems fine and copies are ok. It takes way too long for the first page to start printing and then only prints at maybe 20 ppm color. Firmware is up to date. Tried different network cable. Also adjusted network settings in sim 55-6 according to tech pub about U2-41 error. I think the transfer belt just has to clean itself but I am wondering if anyone else have encountered this. Was Sharp wrong in proclaiming a 70 ppm color machine? Any input is appreciated.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: mx-7040 not meeting manufaturer specs

We have an mx 6240 and color printing seem slow, although not as low as 20 ppm. Biggest complain is also first page print time.(oh and some L8-20 along the way...)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CorbinDallas's Avatar
    Print speed and rip speed are not the same. A complex job can take longer to rip so the first set may not be produced at the rated speed.
    To test and confirm print 2 sets and measure your print speed starting at page 1 of set 2 and on. Everything starting with set #2 should run at full speed.
    And don't forget speed also based on paper type setting.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

That is the ONE issue I have not seen.
    I have several of these in the field and here are a few more "gems" to look forward to:
    -dv drain and fading around 100k for black and 50k or so on color. The first three that hit 100k did this on black
    -100lb stock, good luck getting the stalling resolved, especially on cyan. This is using the Sharp recommended media too.
    -clicking from the fuser, just a matter of time as the clear coat on the belt peels
    -the aforementioned L8-20 (you're not the only one)
    -Printing .mps file type, which are Microsoft Project files, lock the machine up. Can only be printed using the PS driver with PS Passthrough unchecked.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the tip about PS passthrough. I determined there is a problem with the rip speed on both pcl and ps on very simple, as well as complex, documents. I know sharp is coming out with new firmware in June but am not sure if that will fix this problem. Just looking for any ideas on how to improve the rip speed since the problem only occurs on the first set of a printed document. The customer has a MX-7000 sitting right next to it and that machine doesn't have this problem even with a laptop connected with a crossover cable.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    mx-7040 not meeting manufaturer specs

Quote Originally Posted by sharptech1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip about PS passthrough. I determined there is a problem with the rip speed on both pcl and ps on very simple, as well as complex, documents. I know sharp is coming out with new firmware in June but am not sure if that will fix this problem. Just looking for any ideas on how to improve the rip speed since the problem only occurs on the first set of a printed document. The customer has a MX-7000 sitting right next to it and that machine doesn't have this problem even with a laptop connected with a crossover cable.
    Try using a different program for PDFs, adobe may have pioneered it but they're far from the best now. I prefer Foxit reader for PDFs, never had a problem ripping at a decent speed unlike Adobe.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

To go along with what Akitu stated you might also try printing a pdf as an image. I have had this resolve rip time on several occasions. Also make sure that your Adobe Reader version is 11. Have seen all kinds of print issues with reader version 10 or earlier.

Good luck.

Bil

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Every version of Adobe seems to create more problems then the one that preceded it. I wish software engineers would quit trying to perfect great products. When will they learn to leave well enough alone?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the tips but I am still unable to explain why the MX-7000 acts so differently.