VNC Remote access to multiple machines via internet

Hi everyone. I was asked to setup remote access via internet using VNC to customer's machines in order to facilitate meter-reading collections and monitor toner status. My problem is there are 5 machines in customer's LAN and I could only set up port 5900 for 1 local IP address ie only to 1 machine. I search through the remote operation setting for all the machines but could not find any port setting that I can change the port(default setting is 5900). Appreciate it if anyone have the know how or share relevant information pertaining to this.

Dolly.

Re: VNC Remote access to multiple machines via internet

Use a different port number for each machine, for VNC it is common practice to use 5900 + 1 each time, e.g. 5901, 5902, 5903. If you are accessing the port 5900 on for example: 11.22.33.44:5900 how does the router know which machine to forward to? Is it 192.168.0.100:5900 or 192.168.0.101:5900 or 192.168.0.102:5900? Etc.

You can change the default port number in Security Settings -> Port Control -> Remote Operation Panel.

It is a lot easier to setup email alerts using a free email service like GMX or Gmail. You can setup these alerts on most Sharps, as long as their ISP don't block emails.
    Last edited by ruben; 06-15-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks Ruben for the quick respond. I was accessing to their LAN via port forwarding set at their router and have set each machine's IP to qualify for their respective ports ranging from 5900 to 5904. But I could not set the machines to listen to those ports other than 5900.

Yes, is a lot easier to setup email alerts and status using a free email service; but I was hoping to double up into doing some diagnostic and setting of machine remotely.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CorbinDallas's Avatar

You can access multiple machines without applying your IP address to each one. Use Simulation 26-78 (ROPE Password Setting): program a numerical password. You can then access the machine from any computer using the password you just programmed. Make sure you enable "Operation by User who Has Password" on the System Settings - Operation Settings page of the MFP.

Remote Software Operation:
    Operational Authority: AllowedProhibited
    View Password Entry Screen: Display in Both PC and MFPDisplay only in PCDisplay only in MFP
    Operation from Specified PC:
    Hostname or IP Address of PC:
    (Up to 127 characters)
    View Password Entry Screen: Display in Both PC and MFPDisplay only in PCDisplay only in MFP
    Operation by User who Has Password:
    (Service assistance is required.)
    Operational Authority:
    AllowedProhibited
    View Password Entry Screen:
    Display in Both PC and MFPDisplay only in PCDisplay only in MFP

Quote Originally Posted by CorbinDallas View Post
    You can access multiple machines without applying your IP address to each one. Use Simulation 26-78 (ROPE Password Setting): program a numerical password. You can then access the machine from any computer using the password you just programmed. Make sure you enable "Operation by User who Has Password" on the System Settings - Operation Settings page of the MFP.

Remote Software Operation:
    Operation from Specified PC:
    Hostname or IP Address of PC: (Up to 127 characters)
    Operation by User who Has Password:
    (Service assistance is required.)
    Operational Authority:
    AllowedProhibited
    View Password Entry Screen:
    Display in Both PC and MFPDisplay only in PCDisplay only in MFP

Hi Corbin, thanks. Never knew that. Perhaps I am not reading enough. Will give it a go with the ROPE password to access multiple machines. Will let you know how it goes.