Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Question Sharp mx2640n constant replacements of sensors (reg/doc feed) and boards (mc/dv)

We have a MX2640N in place less than a year with constant problems with paper feed sensors. First the reg sensor went and then replaced all the sensors on the upper doc feed unit (paper pick up).
    Then we had to replace the MC/DV HVPS, and two weeks later sensors 3/4 of the Doc feed (new style sensor)
    Now the machine has an issue with tray 2 not sensing paper in the tray,paper not raising. I'll more than likely just get another sensor...
    I have never had to replace so many sensors on one machine, any input would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. just ordered a INVOLT line conditioner

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Sharp mx2640n constant replacements of sensors (reg/doc feed) and boards (mc/dv)

Are there any other devices/appliances plugged into the same circuit?

Re: Sharp mx2640n constant replacements of sensors (reg/doc feed) and boards (mc/dv)

Quote Originally Posted by wyo19 View Post
    We have a MX2640N in place less than a year with constant problems with paper feed sensors. First the reg sensor went and then replaced all the sensors on the upper doc feed unit (paper pick up).
    Then we had to replace the MC/DV HVPS, and two weeks later sensors 3/4 of the Doc feed (new style sensor)
    Now the machine has an issue with tray 2 not sensing paper in the tray,paper not raising. I'll more than likely just get another sensor...
    I have never had to replace so many sensors on one machine, any input would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Does this machine have the latest firmware?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp mx2640n constant replacements of sensors (reg/doc feed) and boards (mc/dv)

As far as sensors go, there has been a bulletin on sensors going bad and they upgraded them. For the most part, they affected the f paper path DF sensors and the tray feed unit sensors.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

There are 19 that can go at any time....awesome!!!
    sensors.JPG

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp mx2640n constant replacements of sensors (reg/doc feed) and boards (mc/dv)

All I can say is keep replacements in your car. They are very popular right now. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had a doc feed give trouble with sppd3 a while back, I replaced the sensor it worked fine for a while but gave up again. So I replaced the board on the doc feed and the sensor and it hasnt came back.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

This is odd because Sharp actually makes some of the best sensors, which attributes to their high price unfortunately. I guess times must have changes, or Sharp no longer makes the sensors and has someone else make them. I even have robotics books from the 1980's praising Sharp for their optical sensors. Oh well.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wyo19 View Post
    Thanks in advance.

replaced all 20 sensors,machine works great
    Attached Files Attached Files

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by engineerboy93 View Post
    This is odd because Sharp actually makes some of the best sensors, which attributes to their high price unfortunately. I guess times must have changes, or Sharp no longer makes the sensors and has someone else make them. I even have robotics books from the 1980's praising Sharp for their optical sensors. Oh well.
    I has a perfect example of that Friday. I had a Toshiba eS656 with E570 jams ... but only after 164 consecutive pages. E570 is in the inverter, and I had it pegged as a inverter gate solenoid magnetizing. Since every page delivers face down, every page must invert before leaving, twice if duplex. If I fiddled with the machine for 20 minutes or more, I could get another 160 pages. Once it started jamming though, I couldn't get 1 more page through.

When I arrived with the solenoid I had a different code, E3C0. That's a registration jam, and regardless of the paper source, the paper stopped at the registration every time. Testing in 03 Mode was definitive. Replacing the registration sensor cleared the E3C0. But alas, after 126 pages the E570 returned, and the solenoid didn't help. But the two inverter sensors did solve the E570. Most likely only one of them was bad, but I was running out of patience with it. They were all Sharp "73" photointerrupters.

Would anyone care to venture an explanation why I would have two bad photointerrupters in the same machine simultaneously?
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=