Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Transfering user codes from MX4101 to MX4140

Hoping for some guidance on moving the user names and codes from an MX4101 to an MX4140. Have tried the data storage backup using a USB stick but this data does not get transferred. Called Sharp and they said it cannot be done. Seems to me there should be a way. Will it work from the webpage? Any insight would be appreciated.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Transfering user codes from MX4101 to MX4140

I always do it via the webpage, you need to do your backup and then enable the user control on the new one and restore the backup.

The one I had previously had page limit groups and various restrictions and I ended up binning it all off and starting again, I have found odd bugs when putting stuff onto 4140/5140 machines so always play it safe.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

We use the cloning feature via webpage to accomplish this all the time; Sharp is clueless about their own products anymore.
    Be sure to enable user codes BEFORE cloning or creating or they may not work properly.

As mentioned above, the new 4140 and 5140 have more ticks than a feral cat. You may want to clone the target machine before attempting the clone. That way, you can clone back to "square one" if problems arise.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Funny I tried cloning a MX-453 to a MX-5140 a few weeks ago, the clone seemed to work fine but data filing wouldn't I tried web browser and memory stick. Contacted sharp and they said it was just one of those ones.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Should I clone copier and then perform data storage backup? Sorry for the ignorance but I can't find much documentation on this procedure.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharphead View Post
    Funny I tried cloning a MX-453 to a MX-5140 a few weeks ago, the clone seemed to work fine but data filing wouldn't I tried web browser and memory stick. Contacted sharp and they said it was just one of those ones.
    You have to be careful cloning between families, you may loose capabilities of the newer machine. I once lost OSA's Cloud Portal with a clone from a machine that didn't have it as a standard option.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Clone the 4101 and 4140 via the web page. Take the 4101 clone and dump it into the 4140 AFTER you enable user codes on the target 4140 machine.
    If you notice issues, you can re-clone the 4140 with the original file.

I would not suggest trying to clone a b/w machine to a color machine. The only time I do this is with an address book, and that is after I use the Sharp address utility for conversion.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. Delivered new copier yesterday and cloned the user codes via web page. Thankfully all went well.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Clone the 4101 and 4140 via the web page. Take the 4101 clone and dump it into the 4140 AFTER you enable user codes on the target 4140 machine.
    If you notice issues, you can re-clone the 4140 with the original file.

I would not suggest trying to clone a b/w machine to a color machine. The only time I do this is with an address book, and that is after I use the Sharp address utility for conversion.

I have that address utility, but can't find any documentation of how to use it. Will you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I am not aware of any documentation for the address utility but here is how the hot line explained it me. At the copier with the addresses use the data storage backup to download the address book to a USB stick. Then the IDNC site has the utility in their software library. Open it and enter the info for the old copier and the new copier and let the magic happen. Then you upload this to the target copier. That's all I have. One thing that is odd is when you unzip the utility their is a resources folder but it is empty.