The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

"Mellow Yellow" Mojos Sharp Fix #3 MX-5111

I have had three MX-5111 give the same issue with the same resolution. All 3 were running at least 10k color a month and had older firmware; version 7 or lower. When rendering the 64-5 printout, they always come out looking like the example below:
    solenoid.jpg
    Note that only yellow shows up with the exception of the bottom of the page.
    The reason only yellow shows up is because it is closest to the LSU shutter solenoid, which becomes packed with toner mix due to dusting on older firmware versions.
    To resolve this, first remove the LSU unit. On the rear wall you will see a solenoid that controls the LSU shutter. Remove the 2 solenoid screws, bend the bracket down, disconnect the harness and remove the solenoid. You will find a pile of toner mix packed into the plunger path. The presence of the toner mix prevents the plunger from fully opening the shutters.
    There are several known Sharp shutter issues, but I had never seen that much inside that solenoid before.
    Hope it helps.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: "Mellow Yellow" Mojos Sharp Fix #3 MX-5111

UPDATE: this "feature" is now showing up on the 4141 and 5141 as well. I took some pictures on this one; it was a doozy.
    Rear wall.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    Also, what I stated in the original post was not accurate. In this instance, only cyan was showing up. So much for my "closest to the solenoid" theory. Below is the 64-5 printout:
    64-5.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    "Mellow Yellow" Mojos Sharp Fix #3 MX-5111

Re: "Mellow Yellow" Mojos Sharp Fix #3 MX-5111

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    UPDATE: this "feature" is now showing up on the 4141 and 5141 as well. I took some pictures on this one; it was a doozy.
    Rear wall.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    Also, what I stated in the original post was not accurate. In this instance, only cyan was showing up. So much for my "closest to the solenoid" theory. Below is the 64-5 printout:
    64-5.jpg

MAN, I wish I saw this a couple weeks ago. I just came up with this fix myself and boy are you RIGHT. It was a doozey! Especially since the only other machine I had experience with for the shutter solenoid was the 4501 which the solenoid is right on the left side and easy to get too and get off. The 5110 I was working on, it was BURIED way back in the far right and I tried to get too it without taking the LSU out at first. YIKES. Never had a machine that far apart. haha

I learned a LOT about this series machine for those couple weeks I was troubleshooting the issue. Customer was still running, but I removed the shutters completely until I could effectively track down the issue. At first, I was following another tech and noticed the springs for each shutter were missing. EASY FIX, .... yeah right. Put those on and the problem still was present (running SIM to check shutter, UGH). My guess is the tech was cleaning the area of debris and sucked up the springs (and cleaning the evidence of the leakage into the solenoid.)

Long story shout, I too found the toner/developer issue clogging up the solenoid.