Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

mx4112 smudging on letterhead

i have a mx4112 with 70kb/w and 30kcolour.

sometimes on letterhead the text rubs off. plain paper is perfectly fine is perfectly fine.

paper tray is set to letterhead and text is still rubbing off. i checked in simulation 43 to increase the temperature for letterhead but there is no letterhead option in sim 43. i can find heavy paper, plain paper etc but not letterhead.

all consumables are within their lifespan.

also i noticed when letterhead is printed, paper goes through the duplex????? i checked in system setting and cant change it. could this be the cause of rubbing off on letterhead.

firmware is uptodate

any help would be appreciated

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: mx4112 smudging on letterhead

Letterhead will always duplex as far as I know, what weight is the letterhead is it a particularly smooth finish?

Worth trying the letterhead as a heavy paper to see if it makes any difference.

I've had one customer's in which the quality of the letterhead constantly changes, (customers brother supplies the paper) ended up just running it on heavy one

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    mx4112 smudging on letterhead

Quote Originally Posted by sharphead View Post
    Letterhead will always duplex as far as I know, what weight is the letterhead is it a particularly smooth finish?

Worth trying the letterhead as a heavy paper to see if it makes any difference.

I've had one customer's in which the quality of the letterhead constantly changes, (customers brother supplies the paper) ended up just running it on heavy one
    Interesting that your thoughts went that way, since mine drifted the other.

Is this letterhead linen, or have a deep texture? It's a common problem to find toner poorly fused in the crevaces, but the high points fused just fine. The solution is the same however. Select Thick1 media type. Keep increasing thickness until it fuses properly.

You get several benefits to using media type setting rather than just boosting fuser temperature.
    1) Copier speed decreases, allowing more time in the fuser
    2) Increased fuser temperature
    3) and when you resume using the normal media it doesn't wrinkle and jam at the higher temperatures.

Back in the day we had additional options. We could adjust nipp width (fuser pressure). Most fusers now have no adjustment for fuser pressure, excepting perhaps an envelope setting for multiple layers of paper, which is a lesser fuser pressure. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Maybe just different experiences. it's only ever been glossier smoother paper that's caused me problem in the UK, alas changing the paper type in UK heavy must be comparable to your Thick type paper. As it achieves the same result.

Also if paper thickness or toner fusing was an issue, you might have a build up of toner on your fuser cleaning web, in which case you might get some bad sounds coming from the rollers rubbing, and can also cause some dirty prints ect.

Take the top cover off the fuser, and you can roll the web so the roller finds a cleaner spot. (don't roll it to far however because you will reduce its life!)

Hope this helped, if it doesn't, then disregard

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

In System Settings, Device Control, Fuser Control settings set the paper weight to 23-28lb paper; default is 16-23lb.
    We do this on all new Sharps at setup; saves a ton of smudging calls.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!