OEC

MX6201 Keeps printing

Have an MX6201 with a MX-FNX4 on it, the finisher threw a F1-46 code and got stuck with paper in it. Removed the jam, disassembled the finisher, traced the error code to damage to the lever stopper, pg 20-32. Reformed the plastic, manually reset the push motor and assemblies into position. Reboot the machine, no more code. Replacement parts on order per MFP-TB-419.

And to the fun part, it was trying to saddle stitch something when this happened. Now, if there is any legal or ledger paper in it, it will attempt to print and saddle stitch it. There is nothing in the queue or job log. No jobs spooling. The machine has been hard reset numerous times. All reset sims have been run through, 13,14, 15, 16,17. Reflashed the firmware just to see if that would kill the phantom print job. No go. Tried disabling the finisher, changing the default output position. Nothing.

If you don't put any legal or ledger paper in the machine it is fine, you can copy letter all day long. Even use the finisher to punch and staple. The SECOND you put legal or ledger in though, it grabs it and runs the blank sheet through to the finisher and tries to saddle stitch it. Only to jam and then throw the code.

Anybody ever seen something like this? I have seen phantom print jobs stuck in machines, but never anything that couldn't be killed by running through the sim resets. And certainly not something that would outlast a firmware flash. And the network has been disconnected as well, so it isn't receiving a print job from a PC on the network.

Any help would be appreciated! At this point figuring it out is more for my own satisfaction than anything. The customer is perfectly happy with it, they hardly ever use other paper sizes and are willing to wait for the modified parts to come in so the saddle stitcher is back up and running. I'm figuring once the saddle stitcher is fixed and it can fully output whatever is stuck in it's memory the issue will be fully resolved, but I would like to know how to kill the print job rather than just let the machine print it out finally.

Thanks in advance!

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX6201 Keeps printing

Re: MX6201 Keeps printing

Quote Originally Posted by OEC View Post
    Have an MX6201 with a MX-FNX4 on it, the finisher threw a F1-46 code and got stuck with paper in it. Removed the jam, disassembled the finisher, traced the error code to damage to the lever stopper, pg 20-32. Reformed the plastic, manually reset the push motor and assemblies into position. Reboot the machine, no more code. Replacement parts on order per MFP-TB-419.

And to the fun part, it was trying to saddle stitch something when this happened. Now, if there is any legal or ledger paper in it, it will attempt to print and saddle stitch it. There is nothing in the queue or job log. No jobs spooling. The machine has been hard reset numerous times. All reset sims have been run through, 13,14, 15, 16,17. Reflashed the firmware just to see if that would kill the phantom print job. No go. Tried disabling the finisher, changing the default output position. Nothing.

If you don't put any legal or ledger paper in the machine it is fine, you can copy letter all day long. Even use the finisher to punch and staple. The SECOND you put legal or ledger in though, it grabs it and runs the blank sheet through to the finisher and tries to saddle stitch it. Only to jam and then throw the code.

Anybody ever seen something like this? I have seen phantom print jobs stuck in machines, but never anything that couldn't be killed by running through the sim resets. And certainly not something that would outlast a firmware flash. And the network has been disconnected as well, so it isn't receiving a print job from a PC on the network.

Any help would be appreciated! At this point figuring it out is more for my own satisfaction than anything. The customer is perfectly happy with it, they hardly ever use other paper sizes and are willing to wait for the modified parts to come in so the saddle stitcher is back up and running. I'm figuring once the saddle stitcher is fixed and it can fully output whatever is stuck in it's memory the issue will be fully resolved, but I would like to know how to kill the print job rather than just let the machine print it out finally.

Thanks in advance!
    Get all the network protocol/services settings, and do a TC 67-14 (I think).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX6201 Keeps printing

file:///Users/pete/Documents/TT-20025.pdf

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX6201 Keeps printing

okay now this attachment should work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

We had one that would pull legal by it self and put it in the saddle stitcher then jam. it was the saddle stitch staple units. Hope this helps.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX6201 Keeps printing

"That issue of a sheet continuously feeding into the saddle unit is caused by the saddle staple unit trying to prime.
    The tech has to remove ALL saddle staples inside the saddle unit (most likely there is a single staple bent/stuck in there), reinstall the 2x saddle cartridges with no staples actually in the staplers (but obviously in the cartridges), and let the machine feed the sheet through, prime the cartridges and successfully staple 3 times onto a folded sheet.
    Once that is done, the machine will then no longer try to prime and feed a sheet through to saddle. This will continue until its done properly."

This is an explanation of the tech tip from a most reliable source,.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX6201 Keeps printing

I've had a similar issue but with a MX-M620 and the saddle stitch finisher, but it would pull 8.5x11R from tray 3 or 4. Empty print queue, network cable disconnected, did a firmware re-flash and replaced the HDD. Turned out to be the saddle stitch board.

-Aldo

OEC

Hey All,

Thanks for your input. We replaced the parts that were damaged and the machine fed the paper through it and adjusted the saddle stitch finisher as it was trying to do. Once the parts were replaced it was able to perform the staple adjustment that it was apparently trying to do and it quit feeding paper.

So apparently there is no way to keep the machine from feeding paper in a scenario like this. Lesson learned!

Thanks again for all the comments!