Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

I'm going to be a Sharp guy soon (Heyoo). How are they? Any words of wisdom?

I'm switching employers next week and they're going to train me on Sharp machines. All copiers at their core are pretty similar so I'm not concerned that I'll have any problems with them.

Maybe someone would be nice enough to provide me with a service manual for one of the current model mid-size machines so I can get a little familiarized with the brand? Thanks in advance!
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    I'm going to be a Sharp guy soon (Heyoo). How are they? Any words of wisdom?

Re: I'm going to be a Sharp guy soon (Heyoo). How are they? Any words of wisdom?

You'll do fine. The question is just too big to address in one post. You've got a whole raft of competent Sharp people here. Call on them when you need help. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: I'm going to be a Sharp guy soon (Heyoo). How are they? Any words of wisdom?

Type the following in the google search box and there is a model for download. don't know how old is this as i don't work on these. at least you get an idea of their ways of outlining and their terminology.

ar-m550n/m550u service manual pdf

I am like you and would want to see the wiring and layout myself. While i commend blackcat for his generous comments ,i am a firm beliver in looking at the manuals first as they are the road map to navigating the machine and if stuck then yell for help.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You'll do fine. The question is just too big to address in one post. You've got a whole raft of competent Sharp people here. Call on them when you need help. =^..^=
    Good point. Just thought I'd see what others had to say. Sharp is one of the few brands of copier I have almost never touched. At least I've never worked on anything than table top Sharps. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Type the following in the google search box and there is a model for download. don't know how old is this as i don't work on these. at least you get an idea of their ways of outlining and their terminology.

ar-m550n/m550u service manual pdf

I am like you and would want to see the wiring and layout myself. While i commend blackcat for his generous comments ,i am a firm beliver in looking at the manuals first as they are the road map to navigating the machine and if stuck then yell for help.
    Yeah. I'd like to at least go into training knowing a little bit. I will search up that manual in a bit. Thanks!
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mbcruzin's Avatar

I've been a sharp tech for an independent dealer for the last 14 years. I've also work on Ricoh, Konica Minolta, canon and now Samsung. Through all that I'll take a sharp over any of the others. Good diagnostic mode, web interface is solid, tech support is one point, user interface is intuative ( on most ) and maintenance is easy ( in my opinion ). Now I do have a few issues with there newest crop of A4 color boxes ( not a fan ) plus a lot of the new mid range color boxes our mostly plastic which will cause problems down the road. Now the 20 to 35 page black and whites can be money makers. Push the developers, drums a bit clean the feed rollers and they are happy machines. The larger 50 to 75 page B/W machines are much the same. Just keep the drum area clean.

Have worked on tons of equipment. Sharp is by far one of the easier ones to work on. once you learn the SIM road map, you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I'm switching employers next week and they're going to train me on Sharp machines. All copiers at their core are pretty similar so I'm not concerned that I'll have any problems with them.

Maybe someone would be nice enough to provide me with a service manual for one of the current model mid-size machines so I can get a little familiarized with the brand? Thanks in advance!
    I also agree with mbcruzin, I worked on sharps for 10 years now I work on kyacera, but they were very tech friendly but the fuser is mounted on a plastic frame and that over heats causind the screw holes where the fuser mount to crack and break apart over time, also I think there is extra software that you have to have to set up smb scanning called sharpdesk, but I am not 100 % sure on this, I have set several up to print on networks lately but not to scan I stick to Kyacera/Copy star because they are very easy and I have done it a thousand Times, With all that being said I did and still do enjoy servicing sharps. they have also changed how to get into service. back in the day it was c int o int and older ones were c r o p newer ones you can google but your new company will train you im sure. good luck service mode on newer models are #*c* I think hope this was some help

Been doing Sharps for 20 years. In my opinion, they are hard to beat on the IT side, easy to set up scanning (SMB, scan to email, scan to Sharpdesk, inbound routing, whatever. IT people generally like them. You can test your connectivity to a SMTP server right from the webpage (very convenient). Color machines better in last generation, but don't stack up to Konica Minolta color in performance or reliability, to name one competitor that really has color down to a science.
    Easy, easy, very easy to service. you can repair the fusers easily. Parts are cheap.
    And no, you don't have to deal with Sharpdesk on any of the newer Sharps - they will send docs anywhere with ease, directly.
    It's a shame they don't make any desktops worth a damn.