Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Waste toner bottles

I was wondering how other people are treating the waste toner bottles if under a maintenance agreement. Do you empty them, give new ones or charge for them etc... ?

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Waste toner bottles

Re: Waste toner bottles

They're considered supplies and covered by our service contracts. Customer is responsible for their maintenance whether they choose to empty them or just replace them. If in a pinch we'll empty them for the customer.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Waste toner bottles

We supply customer with an empty waste container, for them to replace and have them save the old full one. We deliver another empty, pick up the full one and then we empty them out in our shop, because they can be very messy. Then we now have a recycled empty waste container for the next customer. (this is how we do it with or without service coverage, but it is covered by the service agreement, usually. We will charge them if they throw away the old full one and charge them for waste containers if they are not covered )

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    They're considered supplies and covered by our service contracts. Customer is responsible for their maintenance whether they choose to empty them or just replace them. If in a pinch we'll empty them for the customer.
    We do the same as Akitu.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts harleyrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    We do the same.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Waste toner bottles

We do as copydocinc does, we leave them a new one. When they replace, they call us and when in area, pick the old one up and leave em a new one.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Waste toner bottles

I worked for a Sharp dealer that had a mostly idiotic policy. When the waste bottle got full, we would send out a tech to empty it. So the machine was down for a stupid waste bottle. So what happens if they threw out the bottle or broke a feature? It was even longer to order a replacement, because there were none in carstock. Personally I think it was ridiculously wasteful of skilled labor, to have techs driving around to empty waste bottles, and to have all these machines down. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mbcruzin's Avatar

We offer new waste toner bottles to customers. How ever we try to empty the bottles at service calls. It's part of our MCP ( minimal call procedure ). This way we save money on supplies and the customer is down less frequently.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

If I am working on a machine and time permits, I'll check the waste toner container and if it is over half full I'll empty it. But that's just something that saves me time out here on the periphery.
    Also, some waste toner containers don't react well to being emptied more times then they were designed for (I've found that after being emptied as few as three times, container 1 on the MP C 2050 will start puking toner from its mixer shaft onto the sensor that detects the container's full condition), so for those I have some special considerations. Still, that's just what I do.
    On the other hand, the mothership's take on waste toner containers is quite similar to what Akitu posted earlier, which works pretty well from what I've seen when occasionally I get to work closer to the core.

Technician

On install we leave a spare, when they fit the spare we drop a new one when in the area and its up to the customer to dispose of the old full one! Had one spill inside a techs car once and leak out of the bag it was in, makes a god awful mess and flows like bloody brown water lol... so we no longer bring the full ones back. May empty at the customers at a push but in general a new one every time they are only designed to be used once anyway with the silly stick down covers over the ports.