Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What about?

Re: What about?

I do not think that it would help much. The "I want" posters would still be trying to take without giving. They would end up trying to hack the private groups. We already have had reports of members log in being used by others.

When I see someone asking for suggestions as to how to solve a problem, I do what I can to help. It is my way of supporting the site as money is tight and I usually do not have free funds to contribute financially.

When someone starts right off asking for firmware or manuals, until a little over a year ago I would refer them to Paul. Since Paul is no longer here with us, other than in spirit, I look at a couple of things on the left column of the thread and the persons profile:
    1. Do they contribute financial? If yes, then I am more likely to assist.
    2. Do they have red cards? This is a big warning flag to me that either they have broken rules or have been disrespectful to those who contribute, financially and knowledge.
    3. Do they have green cards and how many? One of the indications that they are here to help others.
    4. how many overall posts do they have.
    5. What is their Rep Power? Another indication that they are here to help others.
    6. How much information have they provided in their profile?
    7. And finally the attitude that they display in their posts.

If I decide that I will provide what the person is needing I will PM and ask for an email address.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What about?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Did you know that here in the states, Ricoh has this same template forum running, and it started after they saw how well this site is doing ( just my observation, no confirmation from the mother ship) . Also the forum they run is barley used compared to this one, major diff is corporate moderators and you can get feed back from corporate service people.

P.S. when ricoh went to the online training a few years back they lost more of my records then they did when they merged the Savin brand in.................................

Now I'm off to finish watching the last Indy car race this year.............Peace
    I have used it. Don't get many replies. I have noticed that the email sent went someone replies to a post includes the reply text.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    This is life after the internet. Nothing we can do. Just imagine how many YouTube "how-to" videos are costing plumbers, mechanics and electricians dearly. I include myself in that category by the way. It's called "disruptive technology". Cool and scary at the same time.
    We do have a service-to-self Y-generation that is information savvy, but backside lazy. The reason for obesity these days in the younger generations. Y-Gen believe they know how to do it via You-Tube but wait for someone to do it for them. I call this magically life productivity the Santa-Claus syndrome. Y-gen waits for it long enough an it magically appears or happens out of know where.

Information is not working knowledge (know-how) though. The brain takes in information, tv,news ,books, videos and through practical experience turns that information into real knowledge.

Yeah I agree to a point with your statements, but perhaps you can look at it from a different perspective. You have to pass on all your knowledge to each younger generation the same as your own know-how was passed onto you. If for some reason during your retirement years you find yourself out on the street, cold, tired and no place to live. Just remember who is to blame. You never bothered to passed on your knowledge to the younger generation so they could build your retirement home for you. You never taught your apprentice to be able to fixed the copier for the Engineer to printout construction plans for the retirement housing complex that you may live in. The Engineer never bothered to teach his apprentice because he was so sure every one else would do it. The mechanic in his retirement now sits house bound in his rocking chair during his retirement because he never bothered to teach the younger people how to fix the motor vehicles that transport the elderly.

So you see where the real blame lies if people find themselves in future situation that they help create for themselves.

What good is a life time of knowledge that is not shared ? There is no future wealth for any generation if you take all your knowledge to the grave.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 08-31-2015 at 12:56 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What about?

This is life after the internet. Nothing we can do. Just imagine how many YouTube "how-to" videos are costing plumbers, mechanics and electricians dearly. I include myself in that category by the way. It's called "disruptive technology". Cool and scary at the same time.
    And when the homeowner screws up what would have been a minor fix for the professional originally now becomes a major repair job to correct what the homeowner damaged.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What about?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    There has been a few times over the years I've wanted to ask for assistance from other experienced field techs on a problem but felt my starting point for the discussion or the subject it's self to be too sensitive to be posted in the open.
    This is the reason for Private Messaging. Anytime you think I can help you with something that you feel does not belong in an open thread and you feel I can be trusted with the information, PM me. The worst that can happen is that I won't be able to help.

In the past, I have gotten PM requests for firmware and manuals. Usually they are from someone I do not know. Many include that they are willing to pay for the information. If I am going to provide information, it will be based on what I posted earlier and will be free of charge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What about?

No that's silly. I recently added a water line to my new fridge. Had no idea what a "saddle valve" was until Youtube. Now, I wouldn't run a new gas line or anything.

And to your post about "information in profile" what's the point of that? To know my name, hobbies and hometown? I like a little anonymity in the internet, what's left of it. Besides this is a forum where occasional locker room talk (or stupid question, lol) could look unflattering to a new employer.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What about?

And to your post about "information in profile" what's the point of that? To know my name, hobbies and hometown? I like a little anonymity in the internet, what's left of it. Besides this is a forum where occasional locker room talk (or stupid question, lol) could look unflattering to a new employer.
    I have seen profiles that do not even specify where they are, how old they are or how long they have been in the industry. If they cannot provide at least that much information, I am not about to provide them off line help.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix
    I can understand your point of view , but what you are really proposing is segregation.
    Yes kind of, that is one way of looking at it I guess.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of a engineers sanctuary.

Given that your proposal finds a basis and has a genuine implementation --how do you propose a Technician who works on many different models becomes proficient to be classed as an expert, or receives the one-off-machine help they are looking for from your segregated closed off forum(s) ?
    The public side is still to be the primary forums for help and discussion, I don't propose that focus changes.
    As for an engineer that works on different brands no problem, as long as he or she has official qualifications on those brands.
    It may even be possible to add an member to multi-able membership groups.

I believe the entire Copytechnet forum is self regulating in it's own right.
    Self regulating... again that's one way you could describe it.

Guys, I'm newbie on this forum, had a lot of help trough here, I know how to help this guy, but I'm afraid if I do

Overall you do make some valid points with positive intent, of which I commend you for.
    Thanks for the acknowledgement.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This is the reason for Private Messaging. Anytime you think I can help you with something that you feel does not belong in an open thread and you feel I can be trusted with the information, PM me. The worst that can happen is that I won't be able to help.

In the past, I have gotten PM requests for firmware and manuals. Usually they are from someone I do not know. Many include that they are willing to pay for the information. If I am going to provide information, it will be based on what I posted earlier and will be free of charge.
    Thanks for the offer.

I am a constant user of the private message system.

But I do think it's sad that knowledgeable people cannot share more sensitive information in a more secure but open format that would ultimately benefit more than one trained engineer.

That basically makes the bases of my proposal.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    "Guys, I'm newbie on this forum, had a lot of help trough here, I know how to help this guy, but I'm afraid if I do "

Huh, weirdest thing that - apparently I'm part of the problem even though I mostly try to help new people find their way around here. They're the future of CTN after all. Oh well.