Looking for or it would be cool if you could add

A place where techs come across fixes that no one has asked about. You could set it up like the Forums and have fixes by Manufacturer and then by Model. We wouldn't want articles that was written by the manufacturers, but things that us techs have seen that seems to help in our fields that the manufacturers either don't tell us or they don't know how to fix. Make a disclaimer at the top of the page stating that NO ONE will be held responsible for taking these suggestions and that they would be using them at their own risk. Just an idea.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Looking for or it would be cool if you could add

Like gorilla glue? This site is full of those "fixes"

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Back in my Ikon days we kept an Excel database like that. We had a form to fill out: Model series, code, jam, etc., etc. The problem came in when it came to catalog this data. Some submissions had lots of data: pictures, measurements, codes, part numbers, etc.. Some submissions had problems like: Jams. That doesn't narrow it down very much. In sorting through this data, about 10% I could not make any sense of. About 25% I could figure out with a conversation with the author. The remaining I could dope out by myself. From sorting through these submissions I can tell you that quite a lot of those blanks arrive still blank. Model? Who fricking knows? Some of the authors could not even figure out their own name.

One thing that would help everyone here look through the available data would be a better search engine. I get the best results from Google, starting the search with Copytechnet Manufacturer Model ...
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Angry Re: Looking for or it would be cool if you could add

Some smartass private messaged me and didn't have the balls to leave his ID. Now I go into my messages it is gone. Don't know if he was an admin or what. No, I don't contribute as much as I would like. Unfortunately, I am in the field more than I am on the computer. I just made a suggestion. If there are other forums on this site I apologize for bringing this up. If you want to catch an attitude then maybe we can meet in public and discuss these issues. I come to this site because of all the knowledgeable people and I hope that I can contribute when I can. If coming here and suggesting something gets me a smart ass answer then I guess that is the fastest way to lose customers

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tnichols View Post
    Unfortunately, I am in the field more than I am on the computer.
    So do I. I do most of my posting here from home before I go to work in the morning or after I get home from work. Plus, like today, on the weekend.