Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar

Suggestion/Question

I don't remember if there is this option when first creating the account.

Is there a choice of " End User" instead of "Technician" title?

We seem to be gathering a good amount of End Users and they profess to be techs and really are asking some elementary questions that even the newest of the newbie techs should know.... I personally don't mind helping anybody I can, but when they claim to be 'techs' and then repeatedly ask the basic of basic questions, and when asked " oh yes I AM a tech..." then 20 comments later admit to end user status it does get annoying and frustrating.

TIA,
    Phil

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Suggestion/Question

Re: Suggestion/Question

Hey Phil, agree with you 100%. Unfortunately if end users didn't post here there wouldn't be many posts. It seems at least half the posts are end users. But that's to be expected with a non-passworded forum. Can't blame an end user if they end up here after googling their problem and old posts from this site pop up. It would be great if there was a place on this site that only techs could access.

I don't mind helping an end user "within reason" but if they are going to lie about it then I won't! I definitely will not give out information on how to enter service mode!

I do believe if you help someone it will come back to you in a positive way. Always has for me.

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post

I don't mind helping an end user "within reason" but if they are going to lie about it then I won't! I definitely will not give out information on how to enter service mode!

I do believe if you help someone it will come back to you in a positive way. Always has for me.
    " I don't mind helping an end user "within reason" but if they are going to lie about it then I won't! I definitely will not give out information on how to enter service mode!"

I agree totally... I have never tried ( even with techs under me ) to with hold knowledge, but that being said, I don't like to be "hoodoo'd" by some posing as a tech.
    As far as Service mode... OH HECK no! If a person doesn't have or cannot find a service manual ( such as in the Manual Request forum ) I will not give service mode entry info...

" I do believe if you help someone it will come back to you in a positive way. Always has for me. " I always try to pay it forward in ALL facets of my life... but I have been burned before.. and those type folks will never get my help again.

Administrator 500+ Posts Aneurysm's Avatar

We tested a quiz module a long while back that asked a few simple questions and depending on the answers the user gave it would determine what usergroup they landed in. it worked great in theory but that was about it, it ended up being way more trouble that it was worth. We are in mid-upgrade (next few weeks) on a software revision and after that settles down we can look at what new features w have to work with.

--
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Suggestion/Question

This applies to most endusers and techs:

Nobody wants to admit that they don't know the basic precepts. You might be surprised but I have a special respect to individuals that can admit they don't know something. It's really difficult to ask the pertinent questions when your too busy camouflaging your ignorance.

I'd rather hear reasoning or theories that are completely false than the open ended "Any thoughts?" and no attempt to figure it out. =^..^=

If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This applies to most endusers and techs:

Nobody wants to admit that they don't know the basic precepts. You might be surprised but I have a special respect to individuals that can admit they don't know something. It's really difficult to ask the pertinent questions when your too busy camouflaging your ignorance.

I'd rather hear reasoning or theories that are completely false than the open ended "Any thoughts?" and no attempt to figure it out. =^..^=
    I will be the first to admit.. I don't know it all.. IF I did I'd walk on water!

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    We tested a quiz module a long while back that asked a few simple questions and depending on the answers the user gave it would determine what usergroup they landed in. it worked great in theory but that was about it, it ended up being way more trouble that it was worth. We are in mid-upgrade (next few weeks) on a software revision and after that settles down we can look at what new features w have to work with.
    Thanks for providing a great place for help and tossing around ideas!