Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Membership Fee?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Membership Fee?

No offense taken. I asked for opinions. They're all good ones. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    No offense taken. I asked for opinions. They're all good ones. =^..^=
    You see? That's why I'm your biggest fan. Peace...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Membership Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Seriously guys, what's with the elitist attitude a lot of you guys are expressing?
    Maybe charging for site access is elitist, I give you that. But asking for some posts in the "new here" forum before being able to post (not read, mind you) in the other forums, I believe is a reasonable idea to discourage those who come and, as soon as they get what they want, disappear.

I just want more participative folks, and not just people only looking for freebies, and I believe I'm not alone in that.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Seriously guys, what's with the elitist attitude a lot of you guys are expressing? We're not exactly finding a cure for cancer here. We work on copiers. Some of us might work on computers/networks as well. None of us are in the running to win the Nobel Peace Prize this year, you know? What is this contempt you guys seem to have for end users trying to fix their own copiers? I belong to this computer forum where newbies post all the time asking questions about how to fix their PCs. A lot of them even say "Hey, I know nothing about computers, but I'm having such and such problem. Can somebody help?". It's funny, because on the computer forum, all the knowledgable PC/network techs are more than happy to help someone with no prior knowledge. Not once have I ever seen anyone ask if the poster was an end user. It's all about people helping out other people with technical problems. It's just weird because when I first joined this forum it seemed like my computer forum - just a bunch of techs helping out people with technical problems. Somewhere along the line heads swelled and attitudes started getting out of control. Jesus, what happened to this forum? It's really kind of sad. As far as charging for membership, go ahead if you really want to kill the entire forum overnight. People aren't going to pay good money, just to hear the opinions of some random techs. If people are going to pay money, they are going to want resolutions to their problems, not just advise. They might as well just pay a tech to come out and fix their machine for them. Ok, I guess I've said my piece. Here comes the flaming... The way this forum has been going lately, I kinda half expect I'll get banned. LOL

Oh yeah, Blackcat, don't get me wrong. I'm still your biggest fan. I just think you're way off on this one, bro...
    I think you made a very good eye opening point. You spoke from the heart bro. Thanks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Membership Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    ... I just want more participative folks, and not just people only looking for freebies, and I believe I'm not alone in that.
    I must be from another generation. I enjoy sharing advice.
    But software, manuals, firmware, ... I expect to pay for those. And I expect others to also. Begging for free stuff is just wrong.

As a Samsung dealer, we catered to the something-for-nothing generation. Sometimes I just get really tired of it ...
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Membership Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I must be from another generation. I enjoy sharing advice.
    But software, manuals, firmware, ... I expect to pay for those. And I expect others to also. Begging for free stuff is just wrong.

As a Samsung dealer, we catered to the something-for-nothing generation. Sometimes I just get really tired of it ...
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm a saint. I've asked for stuff many times - you just need to look at my thread list to see it. But I've made an effort to help others while I ask for help (and manuals and stuff) for myself. And while I see most of the regulars here doing the same, it's the new people coming and asking for stuff and then disappearing that bother me.
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    One of my favourite forums is a 'No Alias' board. Your real name is expected to be viewable and the username must be some reasonable variant of your real name. I find that keeps some of the BS down by reducing the ability to hide behind a screen name. And yes here I elected for a variant of a nickname my close friends use rather than my real name.

I haven't asked anyone here for help as yet, only offered help. More active moderation and minmum participation levels could be good IMHO. I like to spend more of my time trying to give some decent help to fellow techs rather than end users. Not to say there aren't crap techs and good end users out there, but I just prefer to try to operate on the same wavelength as other techs.

Would I pay to be here? Not likely. I'm not too bothered separating the wheat from the chaff, I can pretty quickly filter out the junk for myself. Would I like to see more active moderation? Yes, there is some value in having a few good moderators active on a board. It would be nice to have some areas only available to techs, but how do you prove your credentials? Alternatively have some way of encouraging end users to keep requests in an appropriate area.

Overall I check the site regularly and do enjoy it.

Membership Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Overall I check the site regularly and do enjoy it.
    Which goes to show that, even with its shortcomings, this forum is in good shape.
    Mascan42

Ibid

I would gladly pay a registration fee for this site simply because i know my boss would happily pay for it and its a great forum for techs of all persuasions, however i think we would lose to many good people who would be unwilling or unable to pay for it.
    I agree we need more moderators on the site and as far as end users go i dont have any probs helping them because they are our bread and butter

PS:To all those who have helped me in the past a big THANK YOU
    Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works... and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)

Service Manager 100+ Posts dbrownlee's Avatar
    I haven't posted much lately, but I wouldn't pay a membership fee to visit the site. Wasn't there another tech site that went down the tubes when thet started charging even to view any posts?
    as far as keeping out spammers and the like, a guitar site I frequent requires that your first 5 posts be approved by a moderator before they even appear on the forum. It has virtually eliminated all but the most clever spam.
    would require more moderators, though...