Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Re: HOW MUCH IS FRIMWAR ??? APPARENTLY PRICELESS!

I'm personally being tired of being 'stiffed' when I request help with firmware myself.
    I speak and type (if I do say so myself) PERFECT English and I am STILL waiting for someone, ANYONE to P.M. me with firmware for a biz C350. F
    ortunately, I have many friends in this industry and I GOT MY FIRMWARE, no thanks to this site, I might add. What sucks a lot is, I'm no end user, I'm a factory-trained tech. on Konica Minolta, Xerox, Brother, and just about every other brand worth mentioning, and a few not.
    Hoarding firmware for a machine you'll never have the opportunity to service personally does several things, and does NOT do some things:
    It diminishes your brand! One more of your brand out there not working, and being considered A USELESS PIECE OF GARBAGE!
    It saves your job......however, if you pm someone on this site, I'm sure the owners/admins won't turn you in to your service manager. So when I (or zaza) respectfully ask if someone can hook us up with firmware, it harms no one and nothing IMO. Also, see above. Your company isn't going to lose one dime helping someone with a machine THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY (or three blocks if they're not already your customer) fix their outdated firmware.
    It does NOT prevent anyone from screwing up their own machine, in fact it probably increases the odds one of us will get a bad file and just screw it up irreparably, making a new main pwb a necessity.

I have some firmwares for some machines. I'm not afraid to share, I'm beholden to no one. If anyone wants to swap what I'm looking for with what I have I'm glad to do it. Unfortunately, those are some prettty steep odds.
    If there were a forum created on here for TECHINICIANS-ONLY to swap FW, I'd subscribe!! I'd also donate if the site were more helpful to me in my job. I try to answer questions I can answer competently whenever I see them!!

I wish all the people who give zaza and others a hard time would try to put themselves in their shoes, imagine you're a tech. working on machines with no dealer support. Then imagine NO one will help you, only tease you about your poor English. Which I can usually understand, by the way. The english, not so much the teasing.

On the other hand, being a tech. working in a dealer shop IS pretty stressful..........gotta take it out on someone, I guess??

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HOW MUCH IS FRIMWAR ???

Re: HOW MUCH IS FRIMWAR ???

That's a decent rant, I hear what you're saying.

But not everyone has an "open-source" point of view.

Firmware is intellectual property. Sharp, Konica, Canon etc take it so seriously they don't publish it on their public website.

This mean our bosses take it seriously because they don't want to lose their Authorized Dealer status.

This means we take it seriously because we got kids to feed an being fired for "releasing prohibited information" doesn't look great on a resume.

The fact we could "probably get away with it" doesn't help me sleep at night.

If I didn't have dealer/manufacturer support I would work on HPs or perhaps a more affordable off-brand like Copystar (Kyocera) NECs (Konicas) or Muratec

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    That's a decent rant, I hear what you're saying.

But not everyone has an "open-source" point of view.

Firmware is intellectual property. Sharp, Konica, Canon etc take it so seriously they don't publish it on their public website.

This mean our bosses take it seriously because they don't want to lose their Authorized Dealer status.

This means we take it seriously because we got kids to feed an being fired for "releasing prohibited information" doesn't look great on a resume.

The fact we could "probably get away with it" doesn't help me sleep at night.

If I didn't have dealer/manufacturer support I would work on HPs or perhaps a more affordable off-brand like Copystar (Kyocera) NECs (Konicas) or Muratec
    Of course....and no one is asking anyone to risk their jobs or dealerships. But that's what's GREAT about THIS FORUM....it's not about the dealers at all....(and hopefully never will be) it's about the TECHNICIANS. This is a brotherhood, and we're all just trying to do the same thing....fix the (insert expletive here) machine!

As long as we all understand where we're each coming from (sometimes you're in an area where there is no dealer, like zaza, other times you're independent like me and just trying to put food in your family's mouth as well), then I still see no need for any animosity....that being said, if you DON'T know how to be discreet about requests, then I guess you deserve to get flamed a bit. Me included. And, my Mom used to tell me not to say anything if I didn't have anything nice to say....not only is silence golden, it's CLASSY.

Personally, I work on every brand A-Z. If certain brands want to be rabid tight-asses about their machines and prefer the 'dealer fixes it or NO ONE fixes it' mentality, that's their perogative. Market share should tell you what's the best policy. NOT that I'm asking any dealer's tech to violate any policies.
    I'm sure I'd be just as tight about it if it were MY dealership.
    Something else to think about - there are rare instances (I know, you think all indies and non dealer techs are a bunch of slobbering, drooling cavemen with IQ's of .0003) where we non-dealer techs can help YOU!! (GASP)
    That is, if you're not too full of yourself to consider someone else on this planet might know something you don't.
    Let's not fight, let's play nice, is all I'm sayin'. Peace.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HOW MUCH IS FRIMWAR ???

I work for a supplier and before that I worked for an company that was authorized for one type, but ran independent on just about anything else to stay competitive. I don't like the harassment that people give zaza because I know what it's like to be an independent, but I sympathize with those who are dealers or work for them. I just think these type of posts should not be all over the website and be kept to a minimum. The manufacturer's no doubt have an interest in things pertaining to their product on the web. This is not a private forum. It is very public. If they feel threatened, this site could be made to disappear. That fear might be the reason, some of those moderating the site have chosen to discourage it by giving negative rep (something I do not agree with). I'm not saying don't ask. I'm just saying, keep it down. The problem with zaza is he doesn't seem to get this, no matter how people try to explain it to him. To me, if you were going to have any public place on this forum to make requests for that (and I'm probably going to start a new argument here again) would be to post requests in the buy, sell, trade forum of this site and PM it. To those moderating the site, if someone wants to risk their job by giving firmware away, let them. Everyone has free will and freedom of choice (most of us do not live in a police state). I once told a professor that the "you can do/be anything you want in this world" was a lie taught to children in school. He told me that it was true, but incomplete. It should be "you can do/be anything you want in this world but it's what you're willing to give up to get it that determines what you do/be". They can do it, but they will have to take the consequences of getting caught.

In complete agreement with this:

That is, if you're not too full of yourself to consider someone else on this planet might know something you don't. Let's not fight, let's play nice, is all I'm sayin'. Peace.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".