Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent downtime

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recent downtime

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I'd never imagine someone would consider editing live data. Usually you ftp them down, perform your edits (maybe test them @localhost/testserver) and ftp them back afterwards. But if the server or certain services is/are DOWN you can't proceed anyways until things come back to ready state. Most hosting services have check routines that perform automatic reboot or service restart routines in case something hung up. It would be quite primitive if a provider would wait in this situation until the site owner complaints that the service is down (since there's mostly some kind of "99.9% uptime" ensured in the offers).
    Just trying to make a point - there could be a number of reasons why the owner of a website wouldn't want a server to be rebooted - unless it is completely down, but we don't know if it was indeed completely down. Maybe it was and that was the reason why they decided to reboot it without the owner asking for it, or maybe they are sloppy and do it without checking first. I believe we shouldn't be meddling with the host without Aneurysm's consent, that's all.

' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess we both stated our points here - no need getting caught in the next loop of infinity^^

Legend in the Making 1,000+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I guess we both stated our points here - no need getting caught in the next loop of infinity^^
    Wouldn't want to crash the server again with an infinite loop...

Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is caused by Zaza.

The spellchecker is going on an infinite loop trying to find frimware.

Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Administrator 500+ Posts Aneurysm's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    I think it is caused by Zaza

You're right, it's Zaza's fault, and everyone else that hits this site for 750,000 page views a month. Even with lots of features and add on mod's turned off we are still getting too busy for our current hosing solution. I am getting quotes on a few different options but with options comes expense so I want to make the best choice for future. I will probably post something next week when I have more info but I need to do something soon because these crashes are really starting to annoy me.

PS, I've been quiet about the issue until now for a few different reasons but I have really enjoyed the speculation and semi-crazy theories that have been discussed, keep up the good work!

--
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    You're right, it's Zaza's fault, and everyone else that hits this site for 750,000 page views a month. Even with lots of features and add on mod's turned off we are still getting too busy for our current hosing solution. I am getting quotes on a few different options but with options comes expense so I want to make the best choice for future. I will probably post something next week when I have more info but I need to do something soon because these crashes are really starting to annoy me.

PS, I've been quiet about the issue until now for a few different reasons but I have really enjoyed the speculation and semi-crazy theories that have been discussed, keep up the good work!
    Did you see that? The fact that Aneurysm doesn't tell us anything about a government cover-up operation that's bringing the site down must mean that it is true. Notice the PS at the end where he's trying to tell us that our speculation is on the right track! They're out there to get us!

' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

AutoMajical Resolutionist 1,000+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, it's Zaza's fault,

ZAZA's only the fall guy....and only semi-crazy?? US REALLY??

Mystic Crystal Revelations

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Did you see that? The fact that Aneurysm doesn't tell us anything about a government cover-up operation that's bringing the site down must mean that it is true. Notice the PS at the end where he's trying to tell us that our speculation is on the right track! They're out there to get us!

After reading your theory about a government coverup, I must agree. Now is the time to be irrational and see a conspiricy around every corner. There is no better time to make up wild stories that are almost impossible to believe, after all it is election year in America. As soon as our government realizes that we are the true controllers of information flow in the world, [ you will be down for a week, that part is on back order ], they will start watching our every move. Now is the time to make Zaza our figurehead leader. They will take him out first. Hopefully he will warn us when they come for him. All hail King Zaza.

I May Be Old, But I Saw All The Cool Bands When They Were Cool!

Geek Extraordinaire 1,000+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

our current hosing solution
    *snicker*

I used to be hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 1,000+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Now is the time to make Zaza our figurehead leader. They will take him out first. Hopefully he will warn us when they come for him. All hail King Zaza.

All hail King Zaza, and his cabinet Zaza2012 and AAB1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mystic Crystal Revelations