Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent downtime

Administrator 500+ Posts Aneurysm's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Recent downtime

Reports of our pending demise are a little premature. The truth is that I was on vacation in an area of very limited communication so repairing the website was a multi-day process involving 1 bar of cell phone signal and a 1x data connection. I'm grateful for everyone's support but please stop contacting our web host and please stop posting any info related to communications with our web hosting company.

Things are stable now and I working on a more permanent solution to prevent the type of problem we had. I also deleted a few post that contained what I determined to be sensitive info about our web host and support info. Don't take it personal, I just do'n like to have that info out there for all to see.

Thanks,
    Admin

--
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recent downtime

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    Reports of our pending demise are a little premature. The truth is that I was on vacation in an area of very limited communication so repairing the website was a multi-day process involving 1 bar of cell phone signal and a 1x data connection. I'm grateful for everyone's support but please stop contacting our web host and please stop posting any info related to communications with our web hosting company.

Things are stable now and I working on a more permanent solution to prevent the type of problem we had. I also deleted a few post that contained what I determined to be sensitive info about our web host and support info. Don't take it personal, I just do'n like to have that info out there for all to see.

Thanks,
    Admin
    Since I believe the thread you deleted was my own, then not at all (about taking it personally). Folks were just a wee bit worried (and, between us two and knowing that nobody's reading this, I believe some of them are a little bit, *ahem* addicted to your site - not me, though, I could go without CTN for weeks, I can stop it if I really want to - I just don't!)

' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the update, and the fact that the site should be more stable now, but it does seem that the response time is always very slow when there is a problem here, and people can't help but jump to conclusions about the reasons.
    While most of us appreciate the service that is provided here very much, many have also come to depend on it to a certain degree. So, despite your poor signal, and slow speeds, I don't see why a line or 2 of text couldn't have been posted several days ago, informing us that "you're aware of the problem, and you're working on it" ?

To me, that would have prevented some members (present company included) from jumping to conclusions, or feeling the need to try and resolve matters in their own way, by contacting your web host, and posting some of the 'sensitive info', and would have helped maintain the confidence of your members.

That said, I'm very pleased that the stability has seemingly been restored, and the site's predicted demise, was a complete over-reaction

Post Thanks / Like

"Shit Happens."

​That's why they made the bumper sticker.

Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it's back...incidently the last few days were my most productive as of late...

Maybe anyurism can get one of the more senior members to become a co-administrator and help out with stuff.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I appreciate the update, and the fact that the site should be more stable now, but it does seem that the response time is always very slow when there is a problem here, and people can't help but jump to conclusions about the reasons.
    While most of us appreciate the service that is provided here very much, many have also come to depend on it to a certain degree. So, despite your poor signal, and slow speeds, I don't see why a line or 2 of text couldn't have been posted several days ago, informing us that "you're aware of the problem, and you're working on it" ?

To me, that would have prevented some members (present company included) from jumping to conclusions, or feeling the need to try and resolve matters in their own way, by contacting your web host, and posting some of the 'sensitive info', and would have helped maintain the confidence of your members.

That said, I'm very pleased that the stability has seemingly been restored, and the site's predicted demise, was a complete over-reaction

I sure as hell hope you donate, talking crap like that.

How'd ya manage that? 500+ Posts zed255's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Didn't notice Sandmanmac's gold bars, eh?

Zed
    One out of four people is mentally unbalanced.
    Think of your three closest friends...
    If they seem okay, then You're The One.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty respectful advice and intentions in my opinion, and what the hell do you think the bars are for?

EDIT...you beat me to it Zed

Administrator 500+ Posts Aneurysm's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    So, despite your poor signal, and slow speeds, I don't see why a line or 2 of text couldn't have been posted several days ago, informing us that "you're aware of the problem, and you're working on it" ?
    Kind of hard to do when your shit is completely down (yes I could have tweeted something to our followers)

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    "Shit Happens."
    Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Yes he is a donor to the site, and yes he is talking crap (see the above reference to "shit happens")

--
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

Service Manager 250+ Posts n25an's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    Kind of hard to do when your shit is completely down (yes I could have tweeted something to our followers)

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Yes he is a donor to the site, and yes he is talking crap (see the above reference to "shit happens")
    glad the site is back...

and since this does happen ever so often...

it maybe a sign that you should setup an emergency team to deal with such issues in the event you are unreachable...

and from the looks of it... you seem to have one already...

glad the site is back...

and here's to you mate...

Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too