Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rubber cleaner

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    rubber cleaner

Re: rubber cleaner

If the rollers are actually a rubber composition, avoid alcohol as it can dry out the rubber and in extreme cases cause it to crack.

Lacquer thinner or rubber rejuvenator works good as does just plain water and a little elbow grease. The synthetic composition rollers used on most newer machines are best cleaned with water.

One thing, for feed rollers on Ricoh machines, if the rollers had a slight texture when new and are now slick or shiny, replace them.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Generally water where practical, otherwise alcohol an sour-pad where ever there is stubborn dirt build up.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    rubber cleaner

I was always "tolt" to use Denatured Alcohol. Especially in the case of Urethane or Polyurethane rollers as Isopropyl alcohol will destroy them over time.

In the case of Rawn Re-Grip Rubber Rejuvinator, there seems to be a rumor around the industrial audio community that it will also turn Rubber Rollers soft/gooey over time. Personally I've seen no proof of this.

The technique I use is completely wet with cotton swabs, rub the swab around to loosen the debris then wipe fully and completely dry.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Wow thanks all for all your input...i never thought WD40 could be used and i didn't know water alone was enough. but thats what happens when you are told one way and stick to it for a decade

Yea when any tires that are slick or shiny i replace, i guess i always subconsciously am trying to give the rollers a bit more grip with a rubber rejuvenator. Thanks for all the input, i guess i can do away with harsh chemicals that leave us high by the end of the day

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    rubber cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Wow thanks all for all your input...i never thought WD40 could be used and i didn't know water alone was enough. but thats what happens when you are told one way and stick to it for a decade

Yea when any tires that are slick or shiny i replace, i guess i always subconsciously am trying to give the rollers a bit more grip with a rubber rejuvenator. Thanks for all the input, i guess i can do away with harsh chemicals that leave us high by the end of the day
    I clean with alcohol 1st, then follow up with tri-flow oil, of this is usuallt just a temporary repair, till rollers are replace...I've had great luck !

Many light oils (aka hydrocarbons) will make a lot of rubber compounds swell up.
    If you want to see rubber swell up ;use brake fluid or soak in petrol(gasoline).
    Many carbon black/electrical inert rubbers are said to contain iron fortified compound in the rubber.
    Iron absorbs hydrogen and increases in size(swells up)....

A lot of natural rubbers are resistant to hydrocarbons and generally won't swell up or disintegrate.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 10-21-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    rubber cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Many light oils (aka hydrocarbons) will make a lot of rubber compounds swell up.
    If you want to see rubber swell up ;use brake fluid or soak in petrol(gasoline).
    Many carbon black/electrical inert rubbers are said to contain iron fortified compound in the rubber.
    Iron absorbs hydrogen and increases in size(swells up)....

A lot of natural rubbers are resistant to hydrocarbons and generally won't swell up or disintegrate.
    Sel-Sol is the best cleaner I have found. It won't harm rubber or urethane, and best of all it won't harm your health.

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Sel-Sol is the best cleaner I have found. It won't harm rubber or urethane, and best of all it won't harm your health.
    Whats in the Sel-Sol chemical composition? Whats it made of?

Did a web search for Sel-Sol all I found was Pine-Sol.
    Sol= Solvent. Most pure solvents are flammable.