Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Designjet T1100/Z2100/Z3100 series media advance motor needed

Need a Q5669-60704 media advance drive assy (drives the feed platen and take up roller under the starwheel/bail) as HP decided they don't want to sell it anymore and we have a Z2100 44" that won't feed. The base and gears are fine, I suspect it's a bad servo motor. If anyone has one with a good motor but bad gears or cracked housing that would even work. Prefer new but I'm not doling out $550 for one from the ebay bandits when this motor lists on Encompass as $20 though they show it NLA so I cant even order it from them. HP is such a PITA to deal with anymore which is why I'm going to Canon or Epson for a wide format printer for my own use but this is for repair of a customer's plotter. They are about ready to drop HP as well but the plotter isn't that old and cost them a huge amount. I just replaced the starwheel drive assy for a 47 error which is gone now but no paper/media movement on initialization but nothing is bound or stuck. Weird part is under service tests the stupid drive works and passes. Makes no sense to me.

Technician
    Well the owner decided since if we found a media drive motor it would be expensive and they have a lot of use on the machine they decided to replace it, this time with an Epson due to the way HP is going with their money grabbing methods. It wasn't needed for a trade in and since I take my customer's e-waste and either part it, repurpose it, recycle it or whatever I was told to come get it this next week. Well I have found a source in Europe that has a few new media motors at a reasonable price but since the motor works in the service tests combined with the problems I've had with other newer HP machines, I decided that once I bring it back I'll upgrade the firmware then see what happens. If no change then I'll go the new motor and see. Either way I'll post my findings.

Technician
    Well here's a weird twist - I just got the new manual that includes the 3200's and it seems the original manual I had was wrong in having me look at the media motor. I got the unit today, it's now mine so I really want to get this machine working. The error is an 86:01 and I should have known from previous machines that 86 errors are paper jam or carriage stall type errors. The new book shows it correctly. Ok I power it on, it goes into initialization, carriage moves away from the service station (the right side still though), pauses, then goes slow to the left side then fast back to the service station. Looks normal. Hourglass runs a little longer and you can see the bail (starwheel lifter) go up then down and then it stops with the 86:01 error. Belt is fine and I cleaned the encoder and carriage rail and lubricated it. Manually moving the carriage it feels fine in both directions. Nothing in the path and the encoder was only slightly dusty before I cleaned it. Motor seems to run fine and smooth as well. I haven't yet pulled the right cover to check connections (I wasn't in the right side to replace the lifter motor anyway) but I can see that the service station is pretty nasty and will need a cleaning.

I can't even get a firmware update into it till it will go to ready because I need to find out and possibly reconfigure the network address to run the firmware upgrade in the embedded web server per the firmware instructions.

Anyone do the Z series enough to have some hints on what it might be since it apparently worked fine till the 47 error for the worn out starwheel motor? I really want to get this machine running for my own use.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Designjet T1100/Z2100/Z3100 series media advance motor needed

Manuals.........a wonderful invention

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    Manuals.........a wonderful invention
    Until part is wrong. Oh well that one is gone and we both have the new one.