Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SprintA3

Konica Minolta BizHub c351 Fuser Part

Hi everyone,

I just accepted a new graphics job in DC and on my second day our printer has issues finishing 11x17 prints. Of course being a graphic designer and sitting behind a computer all day, I am expected to know all machines and should be able to fix everything. At least according to my co-workers.

So fixing this issue is up to me. Luckily the broken part was very easy to identify, since it was hanging off. The part is a section of the fuser unit, which has an attached lever marked "M2". I searched the broken part for a serial number or some form of identification, but did not find anything.

I included an image below to illustrate what I am looking for. If need be, I could take more photos. I realize that I could replace the entire fuser, but the price of a new fuser just to remedy this broken tab seems like a huge waste of money. If this part is not available for sale separately from the fuser unit, what are my options? Should I look for an old fuser to swap out parts with?

Thanks!
    Trip

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Sorry to say that, unless you got an old fusing unit laying around where you can salvage that guide from, you'll need to order a new fusing unit.

Since you don't specify where you're from, here are the different part numbers for that model's fuser on different parts of the world:

274049521 - FUSING UNIT 100V
    274049522 - FUSING UNIT 220-240V
    274049523 - FUSING UNIT 120-127V
    274049524 - FUSING UNIT 110V
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

SprintA3
    Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I was afraid of. Guess I will have to start looking around for old fuser units to salvage the guide.

I am in the United States, sorry I did not specify so in my profile. Thank you for your help!

No problem. If I'm not mistaken, that fuser unit is the same on the C351 and on the C450, as well as the pure-printer models (C351P and C450P). So if you know of someone who has one of those, maybe you can ask them if they have any old fusing unit laying around.

Of course, failing that and before shelling out the dough for a new one, you can always try to improvise some fix - you'd be surprised what can be done with some old parts and plastic screws. Even if it doesn't work and breaks your fuser even more, you've got nothing to lose, right?
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

SprintA3
    That is very true! I'll see what can be done. I would hate to have the company order a new fuser just because of this tiny piece.

Thank you for all of your help and advice, now all I have to do is convince my boss that a makeshift fix it the way to go. Thanks again!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Before you get too excited: are you sure that is really the problem? I have several machines in the field that are completely missing that flap, and yet still produce great copies. Customers always find a way to break that part, and a majority of my c350/351/450's have broken tabs on that flap. Generally, you can just lay the flap back in position and it will operate correctly.

What exactly is the problem you are experiencing? There are several different things that may affect 11x17 paper passage in that area, especially if you have a finisher / horizontal transport installed.

If worse comes to worse, I can send you the part in question. I have dozens of these fusers in my warehouse, theres bound to be a few with the flap intact.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    You CAN get just that flap. I use to replace it on the C450's here and there. They break. I'll have to look the part number up for ya, or you can try precisionroller.com they might have it.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    You CAN get just that flap. I use to replace it on the C450's here and there. They break. I'll have to look the part number up for ya, or you can try precisionroller.com they might have it.
    It's good to know that - my parts manual catalog only shows the entire fuser. The (few) times I had that problem I had to either salvage some old fuser or get a new one. If that's so, I'd also be interested in that pn!
    Mascan42

Ibid

SprintA3
    907tec - The issue is definitely that flap. I should have been more clear in my original post, the copier and finisher functions are all working great, just the document is getting caught in that flap since it is merely hanging there. Many times the documents still turn out perfectly fine, but from time to time, the paper gets compressed pushing past this guide. The result to the paper looks similar to an accordion on the final page of the booklet. Also booklets are sometimes getting stuck in the guide, although they are very easy to remove since the flap is hanging, it gets tedious on large quantity jobs.

I really appreciate everyone's will to help on this issue. If there is a part number for this piece, I would love to have it. If not, it seems that there are much cheaper solutions than buying a new fuser just for this guide.

Thanks again everyone.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mailderrick's Avatar
    RRodgers. I never got a chance to start cleaning the C450 at the shop and now i had to dig the fuser out of it because of that broken flap. Do you know if there is a part number for it because so far every source i am going to is telling me no. I will get ya a pizza and beer if you know a way to get me one. Derrick
    Last edited by mailderrick; 11-11-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling corrections to make post easier to read