Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sharp AR287 LSU or polygon motor

I assume I need a new polygon motor for an AR287. It looks like this motor comes mounted on a circuit board within the LSU. The LSU from an AR405 parts machine has a different motor as well as wiring differences. Sharp's tech bulletin AR505004RR shows a number CMOTP0848FC32 for the polygon motor but I don't know for sure that there is only one style of polygon motor for the 287. Anyone familiar enough to know? I can't send back the polygon motor to Sharp if I order the wrong one and an entire LSU is too expensive for a machine this old. If anyone has a working LSU or polygon motor or knows where to find one, any help would be appreciated.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I can't help with the part number for the separate polygon mirror motor. The Cougar series has a number of different laser units depending on the model. I've always replaced this laser as a unit. Maybe someone here has got a scrap laser. On a machine this old it seems hardly worth it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I was servicing for a duplexing problem when the laser unit decided it was time to go. I would prefer to leave the machine at least the same as I initially found it. If the customer buys a new machine this size, it will likely be from someone else (even if I do get it back in working order this time).

polygon same as ar 336/337 ar250/286/287

do you have l6-10?

it may be worth checking 24v supply to LSU also (DC PSU Fuse F704).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks, MXM, for the reply. I had a similar bulletin showing that the motors were the same for similar models but the units were different. I also knew that an AR405 we had for parts had a newer style motor as well as different connections to the machine. When I saw that there were part number changes over the years, I was concerned that maybe the replacement polygon motor might not fit in my older style unit.

I didn't get an error code. The motor is loud and the image gradually deteriorates on the machine rear portion of the copy or print. I had some of these go intermittantly loud but never caused CQ problems. I found a posting on Sharpnet where someone experienced this symptom and the LSU was at fault. I just got a reply from Greater Philadelphia Equipment Company that they have a used unit available at a decent price.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations. What incredibly bad luck that you happened to be standing there when it started to give symptoms. It can be difficult for the customer to understand that you haven't caused the problem. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=