Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Toner levels and firmware

Hello

Has anyone else seen this? I have three model es3040c copiers in the shop. I have updated the firmware level to 4104 on one of them and the other two are at 3453. I have noticed a couple of things with the toner. I have a bottle of oem toner that shows 48% toner in both of the machines with the old firmware and 8% in the one with the updated firmware. The one with the updated firmware gives me a message of toner not recognized when I put a bottle of non oem in it. At one point I had a bottle of oem cyan show 128%.

I have searched the service manual for any resets with no luck. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Bicyclerepairman's Avatar

Re: Toner levels and firmware

Toner levels are read from a chip on the back of the cartridge. I have seen incorrect readings caused by bad contact on the chip from the springs it mates with in the back of the machine.

turnermier

I tell customers not to worry about the estimated levels, the copier usually will not say 0% until its actually empty, once the chip gets to 1% it waits for the toner sensor to show no more toner feeding into the developer units.

There is an 08 code to completely disable the IC chip usage and just rely off of estimations.

Quote Originally Posted by turnermier View Post
    I tell customers not to worry about the estimated levels, the copier usually will not say 0% until its actually empty, once the chip gets to 1% it waits for the toner sensor to show no more toner feeding into the developer units.

There is an 08 code to completely disable the IC chip usage and just rely off of estimations.

Anyone know the code for that?