Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Adf issue

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Adf issue

One of my customer has a Toshiba es3530c that has a strange adf issue. It will feed all of the originals through and the copies come out in order. If they copy more than 5 originals the originals end up out of order. The only thing I notice that is different is that when the adf feeds and exits there is no pause. When I look at other machines and ones in our office as the originals exit there is a slight pause but on this customers machine the originals all feed in and exit with out any pause and sometimes the original hits the previous original and then another goes underneath.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Adf issue

Re: Adf issue

Yes, I have seen this issue as well, my fix was replacing the anti-static exit brush, part #6LE50494000

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Adf issue

I have observed the issue, and have no particular recommendations. It's definitely a static issue. Originals cling to the bottom of the original tray, then the next one is inserted out of order. When it's really bad the originals will push out onto the floor, and statically glue themselves together, resisting straightening up the stack.

As an experiment I added aluminum foil tape to the bottom of the original tray that was grounded to the DF frame. It was not an improvement.

RADF Tray.JPG

I'll be interested in your responses. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Adf issue

I guarantee it's the static brush, it grounds under a little tab on the front frame side of the guide it sticks to, if it's missing pieces like yours in the pic blackcat, it is shot for sure.
    I had one feeder pushing originals on the floor for 2-weeks while I scratched my head, but replaced the static brush, and good to go.
    Some of the earlier feeders the brush was a little different design and green in color, these seem to hold up better, but it was sub to a new #, go figure.
    When the brush is new it is black in color now, by the time it fades to gray it starts losing its ability to discharge properly.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I haven't worked on a Toshiba ADF fault in a millenia...
    Old Toshiba belt drive ADF's where notorious for static buildup on the platen glass. They had special earth straps on the corners of the glass to de-stat the glass. When this failed during the cold winter months, we would ask the customer to spray Mr Sheen wax and polish spray on the platen glass an wipe it off. This would stop static build up on the glass an any orginal feed problems would disappear.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

That's really quite interesting, I guess it all depends on environment (temp/humidity etc), never had this issue and if replacing the exit/reverse gate (another common issue) we often leave the static brush off because it performs better.
    No, I will not send you Manuals, Software or your own little repair Genie to fix all your problems for you.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you very much for the replies. I am ordering the brush and will let you know what happens.

My only question is why do the originals come out the exit at full speed when all of the other adfs that I look at have a short pause before the original feeds out.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Adf issue

Quote Originally Posted by JVC View Post
    ... My only question is why do the originals come out the exit at full speed when all of the other adfs that I look at have a short pause before the original feeds out.
    Why? I surely don't know, but they do exit at full speed. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

[QUOTE=JVC;485433]Thank you very much for the replies. I am ordering the brush and will let you know what happens.

My only question is why do the originals come out the exit at full speed when all of the other adfs that I look at have a short pause before the original feeds out.[/QUO

Like NeoMatrix, I haven't worked on Toshiba doc feeders in ages, but I'd guess that the original that doesn't have a pause is so close to the original that proceeded it that the machine considers the two of them one document and doesn't slow down.
    For what it is worth.