Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    e257 Network Activity light not blinking on NIC

A new install, replacing a e255. We set the IP address/subnet/gateway in the copier same as the previous copier which worked fine. The NIC card would blink OK for approx two minutes and go dark.

We tried to reset the NIC 08-9083, reset the copier back to factory default, reloaded the firmware and screw off the back panel to check all the connectors, replaced the RJ45 cable. Nothing worked.

I connected my laptop and got good link activity lights.

I asked the customer if they made any changes to their network equipment. None. I tried moving patch cables around in their network and we eventually got a good connection and could now see Top Access but the IP/Subnet/Gateway was so far off in a totally different range I knew we would never get scan to email (major customer task) to work.

By chance we tried changing the IP settings in the copier from Auto to 10Base Full. It worked. I never used this before. Then I purchased a $20.00 5 port switch and it worked on Auto with the same settings as the original copier. From the wall jack into the switch and then with a different cable into the copier. Any idea why?

Afterwards the customer mentioned that they often have problems with their network. The 10 part hub they are using looks old.

Although it is kind of hard to do with a new install, should this have been billable labour? We wasted three hours trying to figure this out.

Thanks,

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: e257 Network Activity light not blinking on NIC

This is a really common situation that comes up all the time on bizhubs, especially when you've got a Gigabyte capable MFP, connected to a 100MB network. Obviously your guys have seen this situation before because those are the two best workarounds.

1) Set the network speed from Auto to 100MB.
    2) Insert a simple 5 port switch in-line with the MFP.

On the bizhubs, you can typically connect to the web interface and print (just once). After your one print you lose network connection and will no longer ping, or see the web interface, or print.

Also keep in mind that there is a technology change between the 255 and 257, so you will want to update the driver. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=