Trusted Tech 50+ Posts rocky_biskit's Avatar

estudio 477 sl "toner sensor error"

Customer is buying toner from a competitor online and has gotten two toners that installed correctly at first, but after a couple of weeks end up with toner error message. Is it possible that they are getting "starter cartridges"? I know that their average monthly volume is about 7k and I know that the genuine replacement is supposed to be good for about 30k as opposed to the starter cart which is only 10k. My question is, could they be getting a starter cart or is there something within the machine that might cause this? I tried reinstalling both carts to make sure that they were installed correctly, but no change.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: estudio 477 sl "toner sensor error"

Apparantly this is a know problem. There is a bulletin that addresses this problem. The bulletin includes a part number for the toner contact sensor in the machine and basic instructions on how to replace it. This is missleading because the instructions on the service manual are a lot more involved than that. I have a copier with this problem and I am waiting for the part to see is it takes care of the problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The bulletin is just instructions for replacing the contacts, the reason for replacing the contacts is not given however I have never had to replace any on these wonderful POS's.

Are the toner carts OEM or aftermarket? if they are then yes its possible the aftermarket guys are using starter id chips, not replacing the chips..etc..etc.
    I have also seen issues where the machine will not recognize toner carts or the drum unit at all and is misalignment of the frames, causing the tag contacts to not make good contact.

Toner is from a competitor...sell them an OEM toner...

Thanks guys. This thread is over a year old now. I did figure it out. As it turns out it was a bad drum unit. Still not sure why it would throw a toner error code when it was the drum unit, but it is something to remember, should you ever run in to it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_biskit View Post
    Thanks guys. This thread is over a year old now. I did figure it out. As it turns out it was a bad drum unit. Still not sure why it would throw a toner error code when it was the drum unit, but it is something to remember, should you ever run in to it.
    well heck..i did not notice the thread was necro'd ..over a year ago and you still remember it..I'm lucky sometimes if i remember what i did yesterday. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    well heck..i did not notice the thread was necro'd ..over a year ago and you still remember it..I'm lucky sometimes if i remember what i did yesterday. :/
    Lol Trust me, I have a bad memory as well, but the only reason I remember this one is because I ended up enlisting the help of an associate/competitor who had run into the same problem. I thought he was yanking my chain when he told me it was the drum unit.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Well then, I am going to try a new drum unit before replacing the contact sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by encorelaser@comcast.net View Post
    Well then, I am going to try a new drum unit before replacing the contact sensor.
    I wasnt aware of the sensor at the time, but if I am not mistaken, that sensor is not on the drum, or is it? I guess my point is, if it is a sensor within the machine and it is a manufacturer modification, the sensor makes more sense from a cost perspective.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_biskit View Post
    I wasnt aware of the sensor at the time, but if I am not mistaken, that sensor is not on the drum, or is it? I guess my point is, if it is a sensor within the machine and it is a manufacturer modification, the sensor makes more sense from a cost perspective.
    The 'sensor' is on the side frame.
    Sender / receiver IR that reflects off a turning disk that is part of the drum unit shell.

Have had several drums failing to turn the disk, usually right out of the box.
    Never bothered to take the unit apart to find out why as we got them replaced under warrante.

If you call factory support they will always steer you towards ordering the sensor array or something else dumb even if you tell them you put in a different new drum and it works.