Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Toshiba e-Studio 6550C meters

Hi guys

Canon guy here trying to help a customer who has a Toshiba....

I used to work on some of the e-studio stuff before I left to work on Canon equipment.

I have a customer out of town who has a 6550C that is in dispute with his service dealer for Toshiba. Apparently he is asking me if there is a way for him to get a list of how much copying he did on 11x17 just by looking at logs. Apparently the dealer had the machine set up to click 6-times for anything larger than legal...

Normally you'd get a double-click for ledger or something, but his contract is stipulating that he is getting a single charge no matter what paper size he is printing on.

Is there anything I can do to help this guy out? I haven't touched any Toshiba stuff in over 6 years, so I think I could probably sort it out of I was in front of the machine, but this customer is over an hour outside of town.

Any thoughts?

I am assuming that I can just print out the meter report and do a basic calculation on 11x17 if it does list all jobs at that size? I am going on some assumptions here as well - not sure if he has been charged that much since the beginning of his contract and simply didn't do enough to notice it?

Cheers

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Toshiba e-Studio 6550C meters

I've have had to address this variety of BS before. Just because some previous vendor once offered single count ledger pages, a long time ago, the customer assumes that duplex ledger will be a single click also.

The first thing to do is to look at 08-6010 to see if it's at 1 for double count ledger or 0 or 2 for single count ledger. If it is not what you expect it to be do not make a change or even discuss your findings with the customer! You don't want to insinuate yourself into this dispute. You might very well find yourself in court. The second thing is to run a few duplex ledger pages and confirm that it is counting 4 clicks like it should for double count ledger duplex. Thirdly, examine the contract. In most cases, if it was discussed at all, it was in theoretical terms or with approval of the service manager, who should not be giving away the store. I think you will not find single count ledger in the contract, and certainly not single count duplex ledger.

In most cases this is glossed over in the initial negotiations, and never clarified or confirmed in the contract. You have a very tenuous situation here. I would be very careful what I said and to whom. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

It doesn't affect me or my dealership directly - I am simply helping this guy out because he just bought an imagePRESS, and he is a good guy. I am hesitant to help because I never really got very far into the Toshiba stuff before moving onto Canon.

I don't really want to fan the fire that he is potentially battling with the Toshiba dealer.

Also, single click ledger is pretty common in my neck of the woods, the market is pretty tight right now. Especially on Canon stuff - machines are too expensive and a lot of dealers are forced to charge single clicks all around. It sucks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

In this case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I would feign ignorance and step away. It could get messy. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Even if 11 x 17" paper is set to a single click, if thick paper and duplex is selected, common to print shops making business cards, that counts as four clicks.

Usually, in service contracts from national vendors, who offer 11 x 17" as a single click, the cpc starts to significantly increase after one year and every year thereafter. By the 5th year, or earlier, the customer is effectively paying 2 clicks for 11 x 17" paper size.

I think after 1,000 print jobs are recorded in the print log, the 1,000th job is deleted as the next job is recorded. LIFO = Last in first out.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 02-21-2017 at 03:16 AM.