Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Kajen

How to format HDD on Toshiba E-Studio 4505AC

Hi,

I need to format the HDD on a E-Studio 4505AC as it is end of lease. I usually do C + 3 on the older models but these ones have only the digital screen so I can't hold any buttons down when I turn it on. Does anyone know how to get the copier to format its drive?

Cheers

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: How to format HDD on Toshiba E-Studio 4505AC

The e4505AC was only introduced in summer 2016. Too early for the lease to be over. Are you sure you have the correct model #? Do you work for an authorized Toshiba service provider?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

That is a short lease! Not even a year yet. Maybe a rental? Anyways if you format the HDD, the machine won't work until the firmware is reloaded. Use the service manual to find the procedures.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

It would be way easier, under Admin, to do a Factory Reset from the control panel.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Perhaps? In training on these new machines, they went over a way to do reset in service mode to bring to factory. It really works. The trainer actually warned us cause it will delete the licenses and if you didn't revoke them back onto the dongle, the license is gone forever. I know formatting the HDD won't clear 08 codes that are needed for Paper Cut

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Cut him some slack. We all come here to help us out when we cannot figure it out. No worries if the machine just came out and is off lease. Short term leases are beneficial to all parties involved. I am sure that most of you on this site have had issues on machines that required you to look for the answer and someone was nice enough to post the info. If anyone has the info please provide here.

Kajen

Thanks for all of your responses!

The 3 year lease has just ended for 15 6540c printers. 12 months ago we included this 4505AC printer into the lease but kept the same contract length.

Whilst it was a simple matter to securely wipe the 6540c printers it wasn't as obvious for me in regards to the 4505AC. Thanks to some help from this forum I have now set it back to factory default. Does anyone know if there is a 'secure wipe' type function built into the 4505AC the same as there is in the 6540c's? It enabled me to do a multi pass low level format.

Cheers

Kajen

I think I may have worked out why there is no 'secure format' option on the E-Studio 4505AC printers whereas there is on older models. It seems that the 4505AC printers auto encrypt their data. What this means is that if the system is set back to factory defaults then the Key is erased leaving all data on the drive completely unreadable.

Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Erase HDD can be done by performing "Revert Factory Initial Status HDD" on secure HDD...

Kajen

Quote Originally Posted by toshibaestudio View Post
    Erase HDD can be done by performing "Revert Factory Initial Status HDD" on secure HDD...

Thanks