Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

ES 5540C "locked up"

hey everyone

a bit of a head-stomper here i thought i'd share with you all, on the off chance someone has seen this before

called out to this machine, client said they can't print to it and it didn't go into energy saver mode last night

no error codes, machine appears fine, lets you know when a cover is open, so i try to do a count print - machine just hung, froze, couldn't do anything after hitting the "print counter" button, so i tried to shut it down via the control panel to no avail, i had to turn the power off

started her back up in 08 mode to do some HDD tests,,, no 08 functions would operate so i shut the machine down from the control panel, this time it went into shut-down mode and shut off. Powered her back up in 04 mode to print out error history, screen displayed "wait, warming up" for several minutes before coming ready, tried to print and nothing worked at all, same as 08 mode - shut down via control panel worked here too

fired her up normally, waited til ready, then tried to copy, stuck paper in the ADF, hit the copy button and nothing, no ADF movement, no copy, no error, no jam, machine didn't lock up/freeze - checked job list and found a few jobs, one ready to print and 2 paused, i attempted to delete them but they wouldn't delete

attempted control panel shut-down failed again, so i turned off the power & removed the ethernet connection, when i powered her back up the print queue was empty, but still nothing worked and it froze when i tried to print the counter,,,, control panel shut down failed, had to turn it off

has anyone got anything? any suggestions warmly welcomed

thanks in advance

Andy

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

Re: ES 5540C "locked up"

I think I'd start by formatting the HDD, and re-loading the firmware. You may have an error occur during this process that will point you in the right direction. Or the HDD may not format properly. Or the firmware may not load. But this is the first road I would follow. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I think I'd start by formatting the HDD, and re-loading the firmware. You may have an error occur during this process that will point you in the right direction. Or the HDD may not format properly. Or the firmware may not load. But this is the first road I would follow. =^..^=
    i was thinking along the same lines, but seeing no "08" functions work, i'd have to format and firmware it on another machine,, which i don't have

ES 5540C "locked up"

That is not correct. You cannot do it on another machine, then move it over. Use 3C mode to format the drive and reset the admin password. If you cannot get into 3C mode, then I would think about a system board or SRAM. =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    That is not correct. You cannot do it on another machine, then move it over. Use 3C mode to format the drive and reset the admin password. If you cannot get into 3C mode, then I would think about a system board or SRAM. =^..^=
    silly me,, spoke before thunking

i was wondering, if i can't get into 3C, i can remove their HDD and run some special diags on it (i repair confusers too and have nice software),, then if possible ghost it to a new HDD

thoughts?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

I don't think that will work. At least in my region, the e5540c series all used WIPE HDD's. They're locked to the machine and can only be replaced by the same type which Toshiba manufactures. It makes troubleshooting a real challenge. But for what it's worth, I agree with blackcat, HDD is most likely culprit. The OS on those were pretty flakey, especially the earlier f/w versions.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

ES 5540C "locked up"

During the firmware writing process a directory is created to find the firmware, and it's stored on the MFP. Cloning won't work. Each directory is unique.If you were to take two perfectly functioning MFP's and swap the HDD's neither one would initialize. =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aAandy View Post
    silly me,, spoke before thunking

i was wondering, if i can't get into 3C, i can remove their HDD and run some special diags on it (i repair confusers too and have nice software),, then if possible ghost it to a new HDD

thoughts?
    This ADI/SED/WIPE HDD is different from normal SATA HDD...

I've tried connect it normal dekstop PC, the HDD is not detectedable...Not able to convert it to normal HDD use...

Ghost/clone on ADI/SED/WIPE HDD is not workable...

But u can take the same type of HDD from other MFP, format HDD and update firmware on your MFP if really HDD problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Luther's Avatar

Does this machine have a fax unit? I just went thru the same thing with a 456 and it was the fax unit i disconnected it and the machine worked fine, had to replace the fax unit

I would reformat the hdd and reload firmware. We order these hdds from hytec. Their website has a component parts search.