Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

Re: ES 5540C "locked up"

thank you all very much for your suggestions

spoke with the client today, the machine had been powered down a few days and they turned it on this morning and it's now working - guess i'd better run some HDD diags on it to be sure it's OK

it does have a fax option, i'll check that out too and should it fail again, disconnect it and see

again thank you all for your time, expertise and suggestions

Andy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

It's not likely to work for long. I have had little luck with any HDD error code staying away for long. If you get the machine to function, clone the thing and replace the HDD.

FYI; here is how I understand the Wipe Drive/SED drive thing to work...

During the computers (copier or PC, etc) boot strap process it sends out a detect signal on the buss asking whats out there as drives. The SED will initially show up in BIOS as a very small partition. This kicks off the drive to start asking the BIOS if it knows the decryption key. If the bios says no I don't have a key the drive deletes its copy of the key from its own local memory and you are left with a drive that only the NSA can read more or less. On the MFP we have a mechanism by which that key is also stored in places on the machine so we can move it around a little. On a standard PC you have no way of offloading that key from the MFP into your computer.

This in no way breaks the drive, just a data - plug the drive into your computer and format it and if your OS is capable of SED they will generate a key and now your new computer drive will only work on your computer. If your OS is not capable of SED you simply get an un-encrypted drive like you normally would.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    It's not likely to work for long. I have had little luck with any HDD error code staying away for long. If you get the machine to function, clone the thing and replace the HDD.

FYI; here is how I understand the Wipe Drive/SED drive thing to work...

During the computers (copier or PC, etc) boot strap process it sends out a detect signal on the buss asking whats out there as drives. The SED will initially show up in BIOS as a very small partition. This kicks off the drive to start asking the BIOS if it knows the decryption key. If the bios says no I don't have a key the drive deletes its copy of the key from its own local memory and you are left with a drive that only the NSA can read more or less. On the MFP we have a mechanism by which that key is also stored in places on the machine so we can move it around a little. On a standard PC you have no way of offloading that key from the MFP into your computer.

This in no way breaks the drive, just a data - plug the drive into your computer and format it and if your OS is capable of SED they will generate a key and now your new computer drive will only work on your computer. If your OS is not capable of SED you simply get an un-encrypted drive like you normally would.
    I'm curios is there anyway to convert the Wipe HDD to normal HDD use?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

Quote Originally Posted by toshibaestudio View Post
    I'm curios is there anyway to convert the Wipe HDD to normal HDD use?
    you mean in a copier?...I have not tried it but I would imagine you just put it in and format.
    Just like if you used the SED in a computer that was not capable of SED at format its just a normal drive.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

According to the documentation from Toshiba (and many conversations with tech support) the copier will not accept a non-wipe HDD. It's designed that way so that the security standards set out by Toshiba can't be altered by putting in a "non-secure" HDD. It's a pain, but that's part and parcel of dealing with our paranoid, security obsessed world.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ES 5540C "locked up"

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    According to the documentation from Toshiba (and many conversations with tech support) the copier will not accept a non-wipe HDD. It's designed that way so that the security standards set out by Toshiba can't be altered by putting in a "non-secure" HDD. It's a pain, but that's part and parcel of dealing with our paranoid, security obsessed world.
    arnh is correct. We accidentally got a plain old SATA drive from Hytec. Not noticing that it was missing the "Wipe Drive" text on the label, I installed it. It immediately went into ... I think it was F106. Whatever the code was, when I looked it up, it said that the drive was incompatible. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

For e2550c EBx models, it comes with 8GB SSD which is able to upgrade to ADI HDD...

The SSD is not wipe technology, able to use as normal drive when connected to desktop PC...

Perhaps there is some codes to turn off the encryption feature???

I've tried connected ADI/WIPE HDD to desktop PC, and the PC not able to boot due to not recognise the HDD...