Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

3040C HDD software

I have a machine with an F105 error. I also have one with an F510 error. I have the manual to this machine. I need to purchase the software to load onto the new HDD. Does anyone sell the HDD preloaded? Can someone direct me in the right place in the manuals 1300 pages where the procedure is located?
    Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    3040C HDD software

Re: 3040C HDD software

Quote Originally Posted by yormets View Post
    I have a machine with an F105 error. I also have one with an F510 error. I have the manual to this machine. I need to purchase the software to load onto the new HDD. Does anyone sell the HDD preloaded?...
    No It doesn't work that way. The HDD must be formatted on the machine, then the System and HDD Firmware must be loaded back to the machine. Then you'll have to re-input any customer SMTP settings, network data, addressbook and templates.

... Can someone direct me in the right place in the manuals 1300 pages where the procedure is located?
    Thanks
    I think that I would start with the section that describes Precautions When Replacing Boards and HDD. As you work your way through that section there will be internal links in the PDF to the section on Installing USB Firmware. The manual is very specific and covers all the important aspects. Just follow it.

The precautions are roughly the same that you might follow whenever you load firmware on any machine. Never ever ever turn off power during a firmware upload until it fails or succeeds. Do you really need actual page numbers or can you find these sections by Chapter Title? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

User data unimportant. I just need to load the basic software on a new HDD. Get it up and running. Is that not possible? Throw the machine away?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have already used a hard drive from one machine to another and maintained it's functionality. They can be swapped.

3040C HDD software

I have already used a hard drive from one machine to another and maintained it's functionality. They can be swapped.
    If the HDD is still good ... well wonderful, but you'll still have to format it on the machine and load the firmware to it. Think of it this way: There is something like a directory on the System Board that helps the machine find the firmware files. The directory is created uniquely during the firmware writing process. The files are never exactly in the same place on the HDD. So the files written by another machine will not be in the same locations. If you were to follow this installation procedure three times with three new hard drives on the same machine, each time the files would be in different locations. If you put the first fully installed HDD back in the machine it won't work, because the directory will have changed twice.

Does that make sense? =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

So where can I purchase the software and firmware for this model? I have several new drives and two machines that are down with crashed hard drives. I have the manual and can read along and follow the procedure. Where can I purchase what I need?
    Roy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    If the HDD is still good ... well wonderful, but you'll still have to format it on the machine and load the firmware to it. Think of it this way: There is something like a directory on the System Board that helps the machine find the firmware files. The directory is created uniquely during the firmware writing process. The files are never exactly in the same place on the HDD. So the files written by another machine will not be in the same locations. If you were to follow this installation procedure three times with three new hard drives on the same machine, each time the files would be in different locations. If you put the first fully installed HDD back in the machine it won't work, because the directory will have changed twice.

Does that make sense? =^..^=
    I ordered some Toshiba drives. The original drive is MK1661GSYG The replacements I bought are MK1661GSYFN.....I can follow along doing the firmware update. I format the hard drive. I clear the tech password. I hold 4 and 9 and turn on the machine. It reads the USB software and goes to the firmware upgrade screen. I make my choices, press start, and I get an F105 error. Are these HDD's not compatible? They are both 160GB. What am I doing wrong?

3040C HDD software

Did you extract the firmware? What is the folder structure on the USB? How large is the USB?
    What firmware files are you using? What version? =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I was successful in getting the firmware to update successfully on a machine with a bad hard drive. Apparently I didn't order wipe technology hard drives. I now have ordered the correct drives. I will keep you posted where I stand. With three of them to do, I should get good at it.

3040C HDD software

Yes, I accidentally got a plain old SATA drive the looked exactly like a Wipe Drive, but without the words "Wipe Drive". The machine errors out and if you look up the code it says wrong type of drive.

Good Luck. =^..^=