Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    E-Studio 453 scanner problems

If I turn machine on the scanner does its movements,looking at white strip,home sensor ect. I can use the doc feeder and all works fine. If I try to make a copy off the glass,instead of scanning the original it moves to the left and crashes into the frame. There is no trouble code and the copy comes out basically blank since it wasnt scanned. If I open and close the front door the scanner will go back to home position. Even though I can see home sensor is working I cleaned it. I reseated all connections on boards. I updated the firmware. Anybody seen this before? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Re: E-Studio 453 scanner problems

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    If I turn machine on the scanner does its movements,looking at white strip,home sensor ect. I can use the doc feeder and all works fine. If I try to make a copy off the glass,instead of scanning the original it moves to the left and crashes into the frame. There is no trouble code and the copy comes out basically blank since it wasnt scanned. If I open and close the front door the scanner will go back to home position. Even though I can see home sensor is working I cleaned it. I reseated all connections on boards. I updated the firmware. Anybody seen this before? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Try to Check, may there a screwdriver you forgotten in scanner that caused bad drive

Thanks Nassor for that tip but I stopped leaving my tools in the machines back in the late 80s. I will pass that tip down to our junior techs though.

Usually on a call I start with the simple stuff first. This one turned out simple and it surprised me. The scanner rails were clean,I greased them and it fixed the problem. The drag somehow caused the motor reverse and crash the scanner against the left side frame. Never seen anything like it.

I've heard numerous problems associated with power supply voltages in the Toshibas, and am starting to agree with that. My understanding is that if power supply voltages are lower than they should be, you can have a host of issues, many not registering an error code, but causing other ghost problems...

One of the many reasons I'm trying to get away from Toshiba altogether.
    OC

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    sounds like the scanner drive motor is failing... it only jogs back and forth but doesn't make the full travel for a "on glass copy" .. it shouldn't affect the ADF scan since it doesn't have to travel far..

have you affirmed that nothing is blocking the rails it rides on? Does it have enough lube on the rails? Sometimes on Ricohs dry rails will cause too much shutter and shut it down.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oystercopy View Post
    I've heard numerous problems associated with power supply voltages in the Toshibas, and am starting to agree with that. My understanding is that if power supply voltages are lower than they should be, you can have a host of issues, many not registering an error code, but causing other ghost problems...

One of the many reasons I'm trying to get away from Toshiba altogether.
    OC
    I recommend the use of a Tripp Lite LC1800 line conditioner. It will make an audible noise if the power supply is unstable. The ESP Digital QC surge suppressors will produce a warning red LED is the neutral to ground is poor at the wall socket.

I try and install the ESP's whenever possible, they prevent many service calls.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts riyadh hossainbd's Avatar

tight scanner motor belt gear screw