Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on LTR

Re: ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on

Probably not developer alone, but something to do with the developer drive. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts copyguy69's Avatar

Re: ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on

Check the wall joint in the developing unit part #6LH53440000 on page 28 of the parts manual. It is the square looking roller in front of the mag. roller. I had one where the little white bushings that hold it in were missing causing all sorts of quality problems. I replaced the bushings and machine runs fine now. I definitely think the problem is in the developer unit. Good luck

copyguy69

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on LTR

Blackcat & copyguy,
    Thank you for your insight. I may have some time today to go and check these things.

thanks again

DR

copyguy69,
    I'm here in front of the machine now. I put the process units back into the machines they came from.
    The problem did not go away by itself. (rats)
    I found a couple pieces of lint in the dv mix. Probably not big enough to cause this problem. I double checked
    the doctor blade gap. I had it to big in the back. It the other machine it piled up the dv mix and left a black
    band around the drum that will not come off with a simple wipe. I need to replace the drum and blade again.
    Only 51K on both. I had just replaced them in the last 10 days.
    I removed the dv mix, toner sensor and the board to vacuum the station. I think I will used some canned air
    to give it a quick blow out.
    That square looking roller is not in this unit, I have a round roller and the bushings are fine.
    I am just about to fill it with developer, but first I am going to pick up another drum and blade.
    Aftermarket this time just like the other unit here.

DR

Blackcat, I did double check the transfer roller installation and it appears to be in correctly.
    Springs in the holes for contact and it seated correctly.
    Time for a parts run.

DR

New dv mix, another oem drum and blade. Cleaned the charger. Adjusted the doc blade gap.
    Ran program 2000.
    And it has already got a ring of caked on toner around the rear of the drum.
    Must be the charger arcing to the rear of the drum. It has already
    started peeling off the drum coating. And the copy looks even worse than before.
    What am I doing wrong or what is wrong?
    Damn I hate when this happens!
    I reset all the PM counter before I started.
    Is there suppose to be metal contacts inside the rear of the drum?

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The drum ground contact is inside the rear drum cap, through the drum drive shaft.

I think if I had a spare, I'd swap in a different developing unit for a few days. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts copyguy69's Avatar

Maybe try swapping out the drum units from another machine with youy original developer unit. The problem could be in the drum unit and not the developer. Also make sure when you changed the drum you didn't loose the black bushing that goes on the end. Good luck

copyguy69

I'm going to get another drum and blade today. A friend here with a couple of units in his garage
    said he would be willing to help. He has several of these models in the field and his are running fine.
    But he only buys them with low meters. This machine I am working on has 496K on the meter.
    So we will play with this today to see if we can find an answer.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

DR

So here I am again in front of the little monster. My friend said he would rather not use his inventory
    of machines for trouble shooting. But he did let me try another drum unit. And the copy did not look
    like the first samples. I will include a sample later. The first 3 pages out looked better in as much as
    it did not pull dv mix out. Then I realized I forgot to plug in the erase lamp. Did that and the copy
    changed again. Now I have evenly spaced black bands front to back of the machine. Spaced the
    same on each page but moving. They are spaced at 95mm. I cut this out and wrapped it perfectly
    around the drum in the old drum unit.
    I had the customers process unit (drum and dev assembled) in the back of my vehicle uncovered
    but on the floor out of the sun light. His drum unit was not wrapped. It was in a box with shipping
    pillows. (air bags)
    My friends drum does not have the ground spring inside the drum. I could see the a faint image of
    the bands on the drum. Turning the drum they would clean off.

So that's the puzzle.
    To ground or not to ground

DR