Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on LTR

ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on LTR

This customer called in for thumping noise and poor quality. Here's what I've done,
    Replaced the drum and blade, (OEM), replaced the missing rear drum bushing.
    Replace a worn belt on the back of the developer unit. None of these fixed the quality
    or the thumping noise.
    We pulled the main drive and clean the gears and tightened the belt. Then the noise
    stopped but the quality is what you see. They have two of these machines so I swapped
    the drum and developers and the problem follows the bad drum and developer.
    So I swapped the drums and at one point the quality was good on both machines.
    Not good enough I need to know what the problem is and now I've got myself confused.
    The developer count in the original machine is 300K plus. I know it needs to be changed.
    But is that enough to cause this problem? I included a sample of the copy.
    I need a lesson on this model. Anybody up for that?
    Has anyone had a problem with the connector in the cover that holds the drum and developer
    together? Pretty flimsy in my opinion.
    Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks

DR

Re: ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on

Re: ES456 poor copy quality, bands and light streaks front to back of the machine on

So on the samples, the one labeled sky shot is just that with paper over about 3 inches of the lead edge.
    I can feel developer on the dark bands.

The test target sample looks like crap and developer can be felt on the page also.

If anyone has a clue, please clue me in.

Thanks

DR

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Seems like charging issue...

If swap process unit can solve the problem, then drum side need to check main charger, developer side need to check magnetic roller, gears...

didi2005
    I have already checked those items. And they seem ok. I cleaned the gears on the back of the developer station and the mag roller
    looks ok. The erase lamps come on bright. When I swapped the units last night the problem follows the drum and developer, but it is not
    as bad in the other machine.
    I'm going to order some developer. I know it has been in there for twice its rated life.

Usually I can clean these chargers fairly good. What experiences have others had
    regarding these chargers?

Thanks

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Have you looked at the transfer roller? If the gear and/or spacers are incorrectly installed you'll get this exact effect. What interval in mm? =^..^=
    image.jpg
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Blackcat,
    The spacing varies. And the bands are not in the same place from page to page. I swapped the whole IU with another machine. The original machine with the problem
    now make a decent print. The other machine also makes a decent print, but I can still see in half tones a light band.
    I'm not going to sell any more of these machines. To flimsy, to particular.

Thanks for the watching

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Between that and eating hard drives, there isn't much to recommend these boxes. They also shear off the drive roll pin for the drum drive. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

the noise and that crap copy is a developer thingy if its not on the main drive broken pin. you replaced the belt on the developer but you didnt change the 2 gears that hold the belt on the developer. check the other gears also and while you remove the platen that holds the gear dont forget to tune correctly the doctor blade. they have the problem giving noise. i am 100% sure about that.

lazymangr,
    When the developer station belt was changed I cleaned and inspected the gears. Used air to blow out the
    the dust and stuff from the old belt. Check and adjust the doctor blade by measuring the gap in the front and making
    the rear gap the same. The noise went away after cleaning the main drive and tightening the belt a shade.
    Only the crappy copy remains if I put it back in the original machine.
    Right now I swapped the IU unit with their other machine. This produced a decent copy on both machines
    but I know this will come back to bite me. And the problem can still be seen on the other machine in the
    half tone area's but not in the line print and it is not pulling developer mix out of the unit.
    I know the developer mix counter reads 300K, twice the rated. Would that cause the problem?

Thanks

DR