Thread: squeaky noise

Technician

squeaky noise

Hello All,

I need some help, I have a ES2555c and it is making a squeaky dolphin noise from some where near the fuser area. There is a tech tip that says to replace the pushers that sit at either end of the fuser unit. We replaced the pushers in January of this year. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it.

Pulled the fuser apart today and regreased shafts and metal plates that touch each other.

Re: squeaky noise

Have you lubricated the exit rollers? (on the machine) I have had this problem before and it drives the customer mad.

Woko

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    squeaky noise

This engineering line squeaks ..like all the damn time from about 1000 different places.

exit and drive shaft bushings, those white idler rollers, the grounding on the 2nd transfer roller, the registration roller, the drive clutches, upper and lower feed transports, bridge unit, transfer belt unit..i could go on.

You are going to have to use your technician skills and narrow down where its coming from using some logic and your output codes then go from there. Don't trust just sticking you head in the belly and assuming it's coming from the fuser...sound vertebrates.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I agree with the previous post. This particular series has at least a half dozen Tech Bulletins regarding random noises. After reading them the common thread seems to be pointing at the exit assy. A Lot of the bulletins point at that assy.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    squeaky noise

Agreeing with everybody.

Most of the time you can reach in while the machine is running and touch the lower exit idler pulleys and make the squeaking stop instantly. So if you lubricate the lower idler shafts for the (8) exit idlers, and the (4) bronze bushings for the upper exit rollers, then apply a little thick grease to the stub shafts for the white plastic idlers above the fuser ... that should do the trick. The thing that drives the customers mad, is that this machine rotates the fuser every 60 seconds to prevent flat spots. The exit section is on the same drive train.

Also check for rust at the ends of the 2nd transfer roller. This can account for a hellacious squeal (is hellacious a word?), and voids crossfeed. Apply some of that nice black conductive grease to the ends of the transfer roller. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Hello All,

Thanks for the greate tips and locations on where noise appears. I also contacted Toshiba at the same time and the said that the specific dolphin squeaky noise is from the pressure roller in the fuser unit. Supposedly a flat spot appears on the roller.

So I have rebuilt the fuser unit and lubricated the bearings with in the fuser unit. It has been over four days without any noise. I only rebuilt the fuser unit because it was end of life so you could just replace the pressure roller to get rid of that specific dolphin squeak noise.

Thanks again for replying to my post. Hope this helps somebody else one day.