Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Fax - the technology that refuses to die

Morning all,

Does anyone have a list of fax codes put together that they recommend setting for the Toshiba fax options in the MFP's to get the least amount of field issues?
    North American District

I used to have a sheet when i was Ricoh but I have not managed to compile one for Toshiba.

Not specifically VOIP, just general setup type codes. i found several lists in Top Access but they are wildly different.

(today's fax issue is with a customer stating it fails to send to some but not all, not been onsite yet but this info has been on my to-gather list)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Fax - the technology that refuses to die

Isn't that the truth! Fax technology, as we know it is, from 1964 (Fax - Wikipedia). What a life span!

It's always your problem when a fax wont go thru, I always get a sinking feeling when the call comes thru, cannot fax.

I always get out the old analog basic phone handset that has been bumping around my car for years, and years before that in the tech's car, the retired tech that gifted it to me.

10% of the time there is no dial tone (called the phone company already *yeah right*).
    10% of the time there is static on the line.
    10% of the time the line cord is unplugged or plugged in to the headset jack instead of the line jack
    68% of the time they are mis-dialing the number (not dialing 9 first when necessary, or not dialing the area code when necessary, which in my area is always, a recent change, so all the saved address books are now not working numbers)
    2% of the time its the machine fault, but in 3 years I have not had a Toshiba fax option fail.

The rest of the time it could be settings, especially if the service id from a VoIP provider.
    When I worked on Xerox, slowing the transmit/receive speed down usually worked, some times turned off error correction.
    One of the older techs gave me this list, some of the codes may not be valid. I have not researched these codes my self, but changing them has successfully worked for me a few times. Use at your own risk. If anyone disagrees or has additions, let me know.

Change these in 13 mode:
    104=5
    335=8
    569=0
    571=0
    574=1
    971=0
    117=0
    391=0
    203=1
    325=6
    328=3
    567=6
    110=5
    317=1
    331=0
    512=3
    566=8
    569=0

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Funny, I remember the first time I saw a fax machine, mid-70's. I was in an engineer's trailer on a jobsite (working as laborer, not a tech yet) and saw this thing on the desk. It had a rotating cylinder that burned image onto treated paper. You could actually see the smoke coming off the rotating drum/paper. Also remember it took a real long time for fax to come through, like 10+ mins.

For the time this was "state of the art" technology. No internet, cell phones, etc. To be able to send/receive a doc in 10 mins was a big deal!

Who knew it would of changed the way it has.

I think fax will be around for a long time to come. Medical field, etc like the fax because of it's security. Never hear of anyone hacking a fax, lol.
    Last edited by copyman; 02-06-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seansbar View Post
    ... One of the older techs gave me this list, some of the codes may not be valid. I have not researched these codes my self, but changing them has successfully worked for me a few times. Use at your own risk. If anyone disagrees or has additions, let me know...
    I'll be curious to compare your list to the spreadsheet I've put together. A major drawback is that you'll get some rather serious line hits ... whole pages reduced to 3" long, but not erroring out. Lately I've been pressing for analog phone lines, when getting the fax is important. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Went onsite...well, as it turns out the phone line sounds like a bowl of rice crispies.
    they need to clean that up first, pages of send/receive and only 3 went as G3 the rest are all error correction.
    How they are getting and sending faxes as good as they are is beyond me.

I will still be on the look out for what field techs have put together as far as a good set of 13 codes to fiddle with.

Numbers here and also several posts in Toshiba Exchange number all seem to contradict on several

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I just don't see telephone companies running NEW analog lines. Equipment is getting old. Then there are the fax servers, Can't accept a fax over 9600bps. Fax machines are pretty
    reliable. Infrastructure- not so much.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Phone guy there today...calls up the office ..."nope, line sounds clean to me"

Yeah well it sounded like Snap Crackle and Pop yesterday

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    Phone guy there today...calls up the office ..."nope, line sounds clean to me"

Yeah well it sounded like Snap Crackle and Pop yesterday

i worked for several phone companies in my time. a clean "voice" line vs a clean "data" line are two different things. voice lines will be more forgiving than an analog fax line.