Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

toshiba estudio series 6 (256 306 etc) slow startup

hello everyone. i am a toshiba tech. i noticed on series 6 that the cold bootup takes at least 2-3 mins to boot and always sayng checking system please do not power off the machine. is that normal? is there a way to make it fast as series 5 or at least a bit faster?

the machines i service are come to office as used so i suspect something with hdd from where they come from like a wipe before sell etc.

its furstrating to service those machines if each bootup takes 5 mins

please help

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: toshiba estudio series 6 (256 306 etc) slow startup

Low RAM, slow processor, outdated firmware = slow boot up. There is no way to optimize this.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

firmware is up to date and it has nothign to do with slow proccesor or low ram. series 5 is faster. series 6 and 7 are slower but there must be something to disable system check on every boot. something with wipe technology hdd

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

EbX machines with the new bigger and more processor intensive Debian based Linux OS verses the light weight VXworks of EB4 but both on about the same under powered arm type processor = slow as balls.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangr View Post
    hello everyone. i am a toshiba tech. i noticed on series 6 that the cold bootup takes at least 2-3 mins to boot and always sayng checking system please do not power off the machine. is that normal? is there a way to make it fast as series 5 or at least a bit faster?

the machines i service are come to office as used so i suspect something with hdd from where they come from like a wipe before sell etc.

its furstrating to service those machines if each bootup takes 5 mins

please help
    industry standard .. when receiving a USED copier/mfp with a HDD installed... either wipe/reformat or REPLACE HDD

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have noticed that the 6 series does take long to boot. Sometimes, a hard drive format and reinstall software may help, but not too sure on this, may be it only fells faster, cause I want it to be faster. And no, there is not much that can be done to speed up the boot. I usually use the time to go to the restroom.

5 minutes is not that long compared to a Xerox ColorQube, that is totally cold. The boot and warm up time is at least 20 minutes.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've had a couple Loire X machines take more than 25 minutes to boot. AFAIK the only thing to do is sell them something different. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

thanks for the replies. will try but i think the hdd came formated not sure. i will reply for results

the furstration is that it does "checking file system" every startup and prolly there is something to avoid that since the 5 series dont show checking file system or something they boot fast as a bullet.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangr View Post
    thanks for the replies. will try but i think the hdd came formated not sure. i will reply for results

the furstration is that it does "checking file system" every startup and prolly there is something to avoid that since the 5 series dont show checking file system or something they boot fast as a bullet.

checking file system is normal, you cant not disable...period

The newer systems hibernate unless you do a full shutdown and they also do a checking file system, they just removed to words due to perception and marketing.
    If you set them side by side and do a full power up you will see there is not that horrible great a difference in time but the older ones will be sluggish for a while after boot.

The hard drives will fill up with log files and other garbage, near as I can tell they do not defrag themselves much so a reformat and reload will freshen up the OS, it will not make it faster right away/ actually on the older ones that fisrt reboot after a 9030 will take longer.

The older systems that boot super fast are running a different OS (VxWorks) the newer systems and running a full highly modified Debian based Linux OS.

The best answer is...don't ever turn them off and setup the 08 codes to preform and untended reboot once a week, I have all mine setup to reboot on Sunday.