Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Network issues Toshiba e557 B/W

Hey all, not sure if this is the right spot or if this goes under connectivity and I didn't want to cross post, so I figured I'd try here first.

Ran into a strange situation situation yesterday. Replaced customer's 5520c / 5540c with a 6570c and an e557 B/W. Placed IP addresses on the same IP's they had before. Zero issues with the 6570c, all sorts of issues with the e557.

Before we took them out, both were setup and network tested.
    Customer uses wireless, Ethernet range is 192.168.1.*, wireless is 192.168.2.* and apparently bridged so you can ping both ranges.
    Placed 557 on same IP. Old print job sent after we disconnected the 5520c started printing so connectivity was a go or so we thought.
    After that, we could not find the 557 on the network via Mac printer addition. Could not ping the 557. Could ping the 6570c successfully.
    I believe this 557 has a wireless card in it, but couldn't find the setup function for wireless. When I DID see it, it was disabled and couldn't find the enable option again.
    Could not log in to top access to see if AirPrint was enabled because we couldn't see it on the network.

So, basically I don't know if something happened to the machine in between or if it's their network. I set up another e557 to check AirPrint, but for some reason, this does not have AirPrint listed as an option in admin. Is there a firmware update to add AirPrint as an option? I thought it was a standard on these? Any thoughts or ideas on if I'm missing anything? The only thing I noticed is that the Ethernet card speed wasn't set to auto, but it worked fine in our shop.

EDIT - just set up another e557 - did FW update - AirPrint is not available in Admin

EDIT #2 - found the Airprint plugin on FYI. Still cannot explain the issue previously though.
    Last edited by pacman; 03-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Network issues Toshiba e557 B/W

Re: Network issues Toshiba e557 B/W

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Hey all, not sure if this is the right spot or if this goes under connectivity and I didn't want to cross post, so I figured I'd try here first.

Ran into a strange situation situation yesterday. Replaced customer's 5520c / 5540c with a 6570c and an e557 B/W. Placed IP addresses on the same IP's they had before. Zero issues with the 6570c, all sorts of issues with the e557.

Before we took them out, both were setup and network tested.
    Customer uses wireless, Ethernet range is 192.168.1.*, wireless is 192.168.2.* and apparently bridged so you can ping both ranges.
    Placed 557 on same IP. Old print job sent after we disconnected the 5520c started printing so connectivity was a go or so we thought.
    After that, we could not find the 557 on the network via Mac printer addition. Could not ping the 557. Could ping the 6570c successfully.
    I believe this 557 has a wireless card in it, but couldn't find the setup function for wireless. When I DID see it, it was disabled and couldn't find the enable option again.
    Could not log in to top access to see if AirPrint was enabled because we couldn't see it on the network.

So, basically I don't know if something happened to the machine in between or if it's their network. I set up another e557 to check AirPrint, but for some reason, this does not have AirPrint listed as an option in admin. Is there a firmware update to add AirPrint as an option? I thought it was a standard on these? Any thoughts or ideas on if I'm missing anything? The only thing I noticed is that the Ethernet card speed wasn't set to auto, but it worked fine in our shop.

EDIT - just set up another e557 - did FW update - AirPrint is not available in Admin

EDIT #2 - found the Airprint plugin on FYI. Still cannot explain the issue previously though.
    Check to see if the dhcp server had reserved the ip address as it maybe linked to the MAC address of the previous machine

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I would check again. I don't think the 557 had airprint.

Quote Originally Posted by ShonRipz View Post
    I would check again. I don't think the 557 had airprint.
    It doesn't come standard but the 6570c and the e557 are both AirPrint compatible. Plugin just needs to be installed, did one here at the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    Check to see if the dhcp server had reserved the ip address as it maybe linked to the MAC address of the previous machine

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Went in today with my laptop and crossover. Everything worked fine. I have a feeling what you suggested is correct on their end. I'm starting to wonder if they MAC filtered that IP. Will try a different IP address tomorrow.