Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    E-studio 356  F101 8 error code help

E-studio 356 F101 8 error code help

I went to a Toshiba Estudio 356, today, with an F101 8 error code. I looked in the service manual in section 8 F101- HDD unmounted. I removed the HDD and cleaned connectors and reinstalled the HDD and still have the same error. It stated to perform sector check 08-9072, however, was unable to perform due to time, but, will be back tomorrow to perform.
    I am not too familiar with Toshiba so help would be appreciated. If the sector test comes back good...what would be my next step? Clean MFP and call it a day? If the sector test comes back bad, I am assuming I will have to replace the HDD. What are the HDD Spes? Can I use a non Toshiba HDD?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: E-studio 356 F101 8 error code help

Have your self sometime. Replace the HDD! Make sure you clone settings and leave it on customer deask top! Trust me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have ordered the HDD. It seems all the updates as far as the lamp, lens unit, wiring, etc have been done, in order for the latest system firmware to work. However, the System board does not have the red dot (or the yellow dot), to identify it, it looks black, it almost looks as if though it was changed at one time. So, I.m hoping with the firmware and a new HDD and following the update procedure it will be good to go.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I have ordered the HDD. It seems all the updates as far as the lamp, lens unit, wiring, etc have been done, in order for the latest system firmware to work. However, the System board does not have the red dot (or the yellow dot), to identify it, it looks black, it almost looks as if though it was changed at one time. So, I.m hoping with the firmware and a new HDD and following the update procedure it will be good to go.
    Yes: HDD, Firmware, Clone file. Follow the procedure in the manual.

Some techs will reformat the drive. If it works even temporarily, within 3 weeks you'll be back again. Don't waste your time. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Yes: HDD, Firmware, Clone file. Follow the procedure in the manual.

Some techs will reformat the drive. If it works even temporarily, within 3 weeks you'll be back again. Don't waste your time. =^..^=
    I don't know what it is with Toshiba and HDD's ..they ate the things like candy...this mornings Toshiba Monthly regional meeting..you now have to have a screen shot of and "NG" using the HDD testing tool to get the drive replaced under warrentee...the drive dies in the copier but then if it's sent in for testing they find nothing wrong.

Sounds like the copier engineers are having fun at our expense ..again..

Apparently, you can only use an ADI HDD, it errors out (F106 0) with the SATA HDD.... BIG price difference! Waiting to hear back from the client to decide whether or not to fix it.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The Loire Series (205-455) was during the transition from SATA drives to Wipe drives. If the machine you have has a SATA drive you can replace it with a SATA drive. If it has been upgraded to the Wipe drive, all future drives must be wipe drives.

Loire X (206-456) and Loire 2X (207-457) came from the factory with Wipe drives, and will only accept wipe drives.

We have replaced very few drives since the upgrades to firmware about 2 years ago. On the 4505AC series I have only replaced one drive ... on a machine that the customer kept yanking the plug out of the wall. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The Loire Series (205-455) was during the transition from SATA drives to Wipe drives. If the machine you have has a SATA drive you can replace it with a SATA drive. If it has been upgraded to the Wipe drive, all future drives must be wipe drives.

Loire X (206-456) and Loire 2X (207-457) came from the factory with Wipe drives, and will only accept wipe drives.

We have replaced very few drives since the upgrades to firmware about 2 years ago. On the 4505AC series I have only replaced one drive ... on a machine that the customer kept yanking the plug out of the wall. =^..^=
    I first formatted the HDD. Then got the F106 0 error code, read the SM and entered 4 clear sim ( i think that is the one that reads HDD type), and the one I tried to replace it with is a SATA HDD, which in most instances it would work, however, in this case not so. I honestly never even heard of an ADI HDD before this instance, but then again, I do not work on that many Toshiba boxes.