Toshiba Copier Pages Life Count

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing one of the following refurbished copiers of the following models with finishers for stapling:

Toshiba E-Studio 6520c
    Toshiba E-Studio 6570c
    Toshiba E-Studio 5055c

Main specs that I need:
    - B/W A4 printing
    - Stapling done on top left hand corner via finisher
    - 50 - 60+ pages per minute
    - Last year I printed approx 500,000 pages (most my printing is worksheets with lots of blank space so I don't go through that much toner per page)

I am quite new to the copier world, so I had 5 questions for each of these models:

1. How many pages (count) would they normally be able to print before the drum will need replacing?

2. How many pages (count) would they normally be able to print before the not-worth-fixing problems arise for each of these 3 copiers?

3. Do the faster pages per minute copies usually have a longer life count or does it just vary from model to model?

4. Are there particular brands usually have a longer life count or does it just vary from model to model?

5. Any other tips or advice for me?

I would love to hear your opinion, even if you can't answer all of the questions. Cheers everyone!
    Michael
    Australia

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Toshiba Copier Pages Life Count

500,000 pages per year/ 12 = 42,000 per month is serious volume. It is not so much about toner on the page and it is more about moving all that paper through the copier month after month after month. A lot of things have to happen in perfect sync at high speed to enjoy a carefree copier experience.

Too much volume for the e5055c. The other two copiers in their prime could maybe do this volume but forget the e6520c, it is too old.

Why are your three named choices a colour copier when your above stated requirements are for a black only copier.

Putting money aside you need a good nearby service provider. Do a site visit on them, see how much toner and parts they have in stock, how many techs they have and what Toshiba certifications they can show you.

Forget worrying about the price of drums and thinking you can somehow fix this copier yourself when needed. Get an all inclusive cost per copy charge(toner, parts & labour). Lease any not new copier on a short 36 month term. The lease charges and cpc charges are deductible on your income tax as a business expense.

The three copiers you selected are old and the service provider will rapidly escalate your cpc charges each year.

Putting money aside you need not less than a one model back e7506AC or a e6508a. Your total cost of ownership will likely be comparable on a near new copier to buying an old discontinued copier.

I have some Toshiba copiers in schools hit 3M copies but most Toshiba's that are less than 55 cpm are toast at 1M copies. If you can get 1.5M copies on a 55 cpm+ model be happy and start looking for a new one.

The comparable Ricoh and Canon copiers you also asked about are not made of Wonder Bread so do not expect much different than I said above for these brands.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 01-19-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    500,000 pages per year/ 12 = 42,000 per month is serious volume.

Too much volume for the e5055c. The other two copiers in their prime could maybe do this volume but forget the e6520c, it is too old.

Putting money aside you need a good nearby service provider. Do a site visit on them, see how much toner and parts they have in stock, how many techs they have and what Toshiba certifications they can show you.

Putting money aside you need not less than a one model back e7506AC.
    Great advice

Where can I access a list of Toshiba Copiers by year to know which ones are old/new?

Do you also know the approximate life by no. of pages printed before it's not worth fixing for any of these copiers or do we usually look at the year it was manufactured? If so, which year would also be considered too old?

Thanks so much for your help.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aussiecopier View Post
    Great advice

Where can I access a list of Toshiba Copiers by year to know which ones are old/new?

Do you also know the approximate life by no. of pages printed before it's not worth fixing for any of these copiers or do we usually look at the year it was manufactured? If so, which year would also be considered too old?

For most MFP's the 7 year rule applies. The manufacturer supports the device for approximately 7 years from first release. Historically Toshiba has supported the most popular models up to 10 or 12 years, but you can't count on that.

And yes, do not plan on servicing your own machine. It's difficult enough to service copiers when you've got an entire service staff, a parts warehouse, and manufacturer support. A single individual cannot acquire experience quick enough servicing only one machine.

SalesServiceGuy has provided very good advice. The eS5055 is just to small. The eS6520 is going to go obsolete soon. The eS6570 is the best of these choices and a good all around high volume color MFP.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aussiecopier View Post
    Great advice

At 42,000 pages per month, anything produced before 2016 is too old. Plus you need a local service provider less then 30 minutes away. The technician is likely going to be at your location a lot.

Are you in the Print for Pay business like a copy shop?

Are you planning on printing paper that is heaver that 20lb bond at high volume?

Do not get me wrong, I am sure there are lots of copier resellers out there who will take your money and say this copier is perfect for you and your volume. If anyone suggests to you that an A4 (max 8.5" x 14" paper size) copier will work great for you, run away quick.

Copier industry insiders who subscribe to a paid subscription service like Buyers Laboratory Inc.(BLI) can easily find the age and features of copiers. Potential buyers without a subscription, not so much. If the copier vendors you are considering are up to speed, ask them to provide a BLI report on each copier you are considering at No Charge. If they cannot or will not, shop elsewhere.

BLI can only report what the manufacturers provide to them. There is a huge difference between the maximum monthly volume reported and the realistic monthly print volumes not reported.

Unless you want to spend all day filling up 500 sheet paper trays, a large capacity paper tray of 2,000 sheets or more is a must at this volume.

One other key consideration is the larger, faster copiers require a dedicated 20 AMP power supply using a NEMA 5-20P wall receptacle. A standard 15 AMP power supply is not acceptable.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 01-19-2019 at 06:13 PM.

SalesServiceGuy
    At 42,000 pages per month, anything produced before 2016 is too old. Plus you need a local service provider less then 30 minutes away. The technician is likely going to be at your location a lot.

Are you in the Print for Pay business like a copy shop?

Are you planning on printing paper that is heaver that 20lb bond at high volume?

Do not get me wrong, I am sure there are lots of copier resellers out there who will take your money and say this copier is perfect for you and your volume. If anyone suggests to you that an A4 (max 8.5" x 14" paper size) copier will work great for you, run away quick.
    blackcat
    Copier industry insiders who subscribe to a paid subscription service like Buyers Laboratory Inc.(BLI) can easily find the age and features of copiers. Potential buyers without a subscription, not so much. If the copier vendors you are considering are up to speed, ask them to provide a BLI report on each copier you are considering at No Charge. If they cannot or will not, shop elsewhere.

BLI can only report what the manufacturers provide to them. There is a huge difference between the maximum monthly volume reported and the realistic monthly print volumes not reported.

Unless you want to spend all day filling up 500 sheet paper trays, a large capacity paper tray of 2,000 sheets or more is a must at this volume.

One other key consideration is the larger, faster copiers require a dedicated 20 AMP power supply using a NEMA 5-20P wall receptacle. A standard 15 AMP power supply is not acceptable.

Thanks so much for your detailed feedback, SalesServiceGuy & blackcat4866. Learnt a lot from your posts that would have saved me alot of $ & headaches. I am in the education industry (academic tutoring centre) so I print a lot of regular stapled worksheets for primary/high school students to fill in, nothing fancy. I will definitely take into consideration ALL of your points when I contact the next few dealers.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

... Putting money aside you need not less than a one model back e7506AC or a e6508a. Your total cost of ownership will likely be comparable on a near new copier to buying an old discontinued copier...
    It sounds to me like the majority of the work you do could be done on a B&W MFP, and could save you a considerable amount of money. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Only issue with looking at refurbished in Aus is that 94% of machines sold new are colour machines for our market, and 98% of Toshibas black exlease machines end up heading to Vietnam. So colour machines are much more common in the 2nd hand market.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk