Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Toshiba 4515AC scan to MAC

I have a customer with 99% MACs on network. They are set up to scan to email. But now they are asking to scan to their desktop, each MAC.

I'm not too familiar with the latest version MACs and its capabilities with the new 4515AC and would like any feedback.

Thanks,
    b

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Toshiba 4515AC scan to MAC

I would strongly recommend against it. I have been told by Toshiba tech support that they don't support it. The issue we've run into is that MacOS cares very little about SMB support, so while you may be able to get it working today a future update may break it with no guarantees for when a fix will be released. I've run into this multiple times over the years. The options we now offer are scan to email and creating a shortcut to the file_share on the desktop of the Mac. Only other option would be if they have a Windows server where you could create individual folders per user, scan to those, and create shortcuts to those folders on the Mac's. I don't seem to run into issues with outgoing SMB connections, only when trying to scan to a Mac.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I will attempt the file_share shortcut option. Where on the MAC can I find the shared folder of the 4515AC on the network, sry may be so simple, but not a MAC user.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On the desktop select Go from the menu bar along the top and then choose Connect to Server. In the search bar type in: smb://ip-address-of-copier. (Those are forward slashes, it's opposite to Windows.) That will bring up a box where you can select File_Share.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

ARHN79 is a Mac Head and the best Toshiba advise you will get on this forum.

I do not have a iOS to play with.

Sorry, it is still a Win 10 world and iOS is at best a 5-8% player in Canada.

You acknowledge that the customer now wants you to create new scan paths for scan to folder for iOS. This is no a simple requeast, requiring many keystrokes.

I do not know your service contract but I hope that all "not turn a screwdriver" but "navigate a web browser" tasks is considered Professional services.

Before you get bent out of shape, let the customer know this is billable labour at $95.00 per hour Professional hours plus travel time at 50%.

If your customer has the impression that to resume interrupted service on scans is somehow free plus the effort to figure how to make that happen is somehow free, that is both your bad and perpetual torment."

Do you charge for scans? Probably not.

I bet 65% your competitors will make scan to folder happen at $95.00 per hour. Scan to email is included based upon three proven methods. If there is a antivirus or anti malware virus software app installed to block these scans then that is extra billable software Pro services billable time to figure out. If you do not have the skill set then hire a 3rd party contractor to complete the task and directly invoice the customer.

Do you really think that Xerox or your local computer dealer will perform these tasks for free. 100% no chance.

A 1980s "soup to nuts" analog service package does not apply in 2019 to a Copy/Print/Scan/Fax MFP.

Nor does the 1980's package apply to your competitors.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 02-07-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Your best option is to set up a NAS drive or as I do if the customer is ok install a cheap Windows PC set up & share folders on that. You can get decent micro PC’s that can be installed out of sight etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ARHN79 is a Mac Head and the best Toshiba advise you will get on this forum.
    I do not have a iOS to play with.
    Sorry, it is still a Win 10 world and iOS is at best a 5-8% player in Canada.
    You acknowledge that the customer now wants you to create new scan paths for scan to folder for iOS. This is no a simple requeast, requiring many keystrokes.
    I do not know your service contract but I hope that all "not turn a screwdriver" but "navigate a web browser" tasks is considered Professional services.
    Before you get bent out of shape, let the customer know this is billable labour at $95.00 per hour Professional hours plus travel time at 50%.
    If your customer has the impression that to resume interrupted service on scans is somehow free plus the effort to figure how to make that happen is somehow free, that is both your bad and perpetual torment."
    Do you charge for scans? Probably not.
    I bet 65% your competitors will make scan to folder happen at $95.00 per hour. Scan to email is included based upon three proven methods. If there is a antivirus or anti malware virus software app installed to block these scans then that is extra billable software Pro services billable time to figure out. If you do not have the skill set then hire a 3rd party contractor to complete the task and directly invoice the customer.
    Do you really think that Xerox or your local computer dealer will perform these tasks for free. 100% no chance.
    A 1980s "soup to nuts" analog service package does not apply in 2019 to a Copy/Print/Scan/Fax MFP.
    Nor does the 1980's package apply to your competitors.
    any company that has a unit under contract and DOESN'T track scans is shooting themselves in the foot as you mentioned.. not only time.. but scanner parts aren't as strong as they should be.
    In any company I've run or worked for ..ANYTHING sans simple install of the unit ( 5 users ) if the customer wanted any network - special scanning setup - server the Customer pays $125/hr + $35 if over 35 mile radius from office. ( with good IT people you can grow that side of the company also )
    And don't be like one boss.. who GAVE service time AWAY FOC and then bitched about the "lack of service income"!

Nas drive is a good option or stay with with scan to email
    Do to MAC OS change they had killed SMB and FTP scanning and don't care! Not there problem.

Technician

These machines do SMB2 to Macs well, you just have to properly share the folder and use the qualified network path.....goto the network connection on the top menu bar, click prefs, then advanced for the connection its on. Look at the wins tab, grab that as the name ie....\\thismac\scans, scans being the folder that is shared to scan to. All ebx to the ebn2 scan to mac via SMB2(ebx as long as the may/june 2017 firmware used or later). Basically its brought in line with regular windows scanning.