Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    e-Studio 456-457, copy quality issues...

Now, I know I can't be the only one experiencing these issues, because several of my machines are having major CQ issues, even though they have been properly PM'ed, new drums, Fuser rebuilds, etc. All OEM parts and toner, by the way.

Mostly, they just seem to go through these phases where they OFFSET toner through the fuser... it seems everything is right with the fusers and I'm not getting any UNDER-temping codes whatsoever, on any of the 3 machines I've seen this issue on. So, I've tried raising the temperature in the fusers, which seems to temporarily fix the issues, but several days (or weeks) later, the problem returns anyway. I've heard that Toshiba has had issues with the Fuser Lamps being defective, and not keeping the machines at temp because they become weak over time, but AGAIN, why would the thermistors (yes, I've tried replacing many of them too) not tell the machine that it was low temp and give you a code?

So, yesterday, I tried swapping developer/drum units from one machine to another (both 457's) in my shop, and it appeared that the offsetting problem FOLLOWED the unit into the other machine!! What gives? I've also sent the main logic board in for repairs to Hytec, based on their recommendations, but that didn't do anything either and the board came back "No Problem Found" anyway...

I'm not sure, but it seems that I've had most of these problems AFTER I've replaced defective HDDs in these machines...? Could there be something that was factory set on the drives that doesn't get copied over when you install and reformat a new drive? I've also tried all the Image Quality and Gamma settings. I even Factory Restored one of the machines through 08 mode to try to see if some coding might have gotten corrupted (changed) along the way.

Any help appreciated!
    OC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: e-Studio 456-457, copy quality issues...

You cover a lot of ground in this thread.

Yes, I've seen hot spots in the lamps cause offsetting and eventually blistering of the Teflon.

Yes, I've seen intermittent thermostats cause C447, C471. They meter out just fine at room temperature.

I came across a Loire the other day that one of the screws was not installed to the lamp contact.

Is there any possibility that the media type is varying?

Is there any developer grit on the prints? Bad cleaning lamps can cause that.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Bad thermistors could provoke offset issues, bad thermostats, personally I don't think.
    I had similar problems in the past with these machines predecessors, for me it was something wrong with toner/carrier mixture as I changed whole
    fuser and offseting comes back after awhile. But I may be wrong as they used generic toner if remember correct.
    OC, you could test bad toner(even Original) theory after running sky-shots till dev unit asks for toner...
    Good luck
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the replies, guys!

OK, BlackCat, so you've CHANGED Thermal Fuses out and it solved the problem? I've changed the LAMPS out (at least once that I know of) and it DID NOT solve the problem. No change whatsoever.

Also, if the thermal fuses are at fault, WHY is the machine not going into codes, at all? I know that it's got a threshold of temperature in which to operate from, so if it deviates from that, shouldn't logic take over and shut the machine down? I've gotten NO codes whatsoever, out of any of these machines.. plus, swapping the drum/developer unit from one machine to another and the problem following that unit seems to indicate a problem with the developer/drum and not fuser related at all... which is weird, because you can clearly feel the toner not fused on the page, leading you to the fuser.

Now, I might have suspected the Erase/Discharge lamps, but why would they be so intermittent? I know the first time I PM'ed this one machine in the shop that I left the erase lamp connector undone, but the machine still calibrated as normal, and I only discovered it after I started having issues. But since plugging that back in, I was able to bleed out the excess toner (machine started adding toner immediately after that incident, because it knew that it was unplugged, which is strange for this series after calibration).

So, has ANYONE seen/had problems after changing out the HDD?

OC

Oh, and to answer Black Cat's question, NO, there is no developer on the prints that I can tell.. It does not feel gritty, just unfused. It's smooth like toner. Hope this helps.

OC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oystercopy View Post
    Now, I might have suspected the Erase/Discharge lamps, but why would they be so intermittent? I know the first time I PM'ed this one machine in the shop that I left the erase lamp connector undone, but the machine still calibrated as normal, and I only discovered it after I started having issues. But since plugging that back in, I was able to bleed out the excess toner (machine started adding toner immediately after that incident, because it knew that it was unplugged, which is strange for this series after calibration).

So, has ANYONE seen/had problems after changing out the HDD?

OC
    Same here: accidentally leave one of the connectors undone (upper or lower, it makes no difference). The developer sets properly and image is generally good. In one case I came back the next day to discover the connector. You usually get oval shapes of developer, not every copy. The first clue is noticing developer sprinkled on the registration roller. We got a new eS4508A with a bad cleaning lamp and these symptoms.

The bad thermostats were always investigated for error codes C447 or C471. The odd thing was they always metered out fine at room temperature and no load. It's not so easy to test the thermostats under load, at temperature.

I don't see any connection with the HDD. You'd have very slow printing or F10X codes.

I've seem a couple bad developing units. It's usually the aluminum developing roller shaft that wears out at the bearings. I've never rebuilt one. We always seem to have a surplus of developing units. Now what of this?: When the shaft wears down, the developing roller will start to rub on the doctor blade, making a really offensive sound. If perchance a technician were to back away the doctor blade so the noise stopped, the image would look okay for a while. Okay until the taller developer brush started to sand the organic coating off of the drum. In as little as 2000 pages or 2 days the drum gets sanded to a rough pitted surface. I got called in after the 4rth drum in a week.

Is the rear drum bushing installed? The machine will run without it, but you'll get intermittent quality issues.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Yeah, never mind the fuser rollers have changed 4 or 5 times. Are you changing your bearings? After a while the grease evaps and the grounding goes to crap. Many post on those fusers, is there burn marks where the leaf ground touches the frame?

Yes I always put new bearings all four of them...